K8MR CW SS Rover Report

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: K8MR CW SS Rover Report
From: k8mr@barf80.nshore.org (Jim Stahl)
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 96 21:31:45 EST

                K8MR 1996 CW SS
             Single Op Multi Station
             Ohio  -  All High Power

                In order of appearance:

            W9OCF    K8MR    N8XPL    AC8E    N8ATR     Total

     80      101      290     199        0      167       759
     40      146       44      35      160      115       500
     20       58        7      25       72       31       193
     15        8        0       3       46        0        57

QSOs         313      341     262      278      313      1507
Sec.          65       72      64       69       68        76

Score     40,820   49,104  33,356   38,364   42,568   204,392
Time        5:05     4:50    4:29     4:23     4:26     22:44

Rate        61.4     70.6    58.2     63.4     70.7      66.3

Missed:       SB      EWA     NNY      DE       EWA        WY
              SDG     WY      SB       MS       WY         AK
              SF      AK      MT       MT       NE
              EWA     PAC     WY       WY       AK
              OR      VE2     NE       ND       PAC
              WY      VE6     SD       AK       VI
              AK              AK       PAC      VE1
              PR              PR       VE2      VE4
              VE2             PAC      VE8      VE5
              VE5             VE1               VE8
              VE6             VE2
              VE7             VE4
              VE8             VE5
                              VE8

Comments by Station:

W9OCF:  This year we added a 40 meter dipole broadside E-W  at at
60 feet.  Still using a TS-930 with no cw filter; using the VBT
helps, but not good enough for the crowded bands.

K8MR:  Home sweet home.  Had my coolest SS QSO ever:  VY1JA
answered my CQ on 80 meters!  Following the pre contest posting
of suggestions by expert N6TR, I sent to W5WMU "nr 123 64 K8MR OH
B K".

N8XPL:  New station on the tour, but no slouch: IC-781/30L1, 5Ls
on 15 & 20 at 80 feet, dipole @ 70 ft. for 40/80.  It was fun
using an unknown callsign that sounded like something out of
Doctor DX.  The bands were not their best during most of my time
here.

AC8E:  Things worked well, but the 1700-2200Z slot is just a slow
time:  folks either taking off time, or spending time on the high
bands searching for the last multipliers.  Lots of unanswered CQs
on 40, even with a clear frequency.

N8ATR:  A case of saving the best for last.  Best rates of the
contest.

Overall:  Conditions were worse than last year.  80 was quite
noisy Saturday evening, the bands closed early or went long. But
with the help of the fifth station, I finally out QSOed the
biggest guns.  However with the average multiplier down as my
efforts were spread more thinly, the total score was down about
2K points from last year.  My next goal:  a total score beating
the contest winner.

AC8E and W9OCF made a few more qsos after I left, so these will
be entered as multiop.  The numbers above are just my part.

Three of the stations got new calls on Tuesday: W9OCF/K8RM,
N8XPL/W8AJ, N8ATR/N8TR, all first choices.

Single/Multi is still the greatest way to make this an
interesting contest!

Jim   K8MR    k8mr@barf80.nshore.org

Jim Stahl
InterNet: k8mr@barf80.nshore.org
Basic Amateur Radio Frequency, BARF-80 +1 216/237-8208
"Totally devoted to Amateur Radio" - 24 Hrs a day 8/N/1 14.4k-300 baud