Resend - CQ WW SSB @YB9BV

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: Resend - CQ WW SSB @YB9BV
From: AA7VB@aol.com (AA7VB@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 11:44:34 -0500
I'm a complete failure at this computer stuff so am having to resend my score
to get the text visible to the many who have asked for it.Sorry.

SO HP     QSO's - 2,140    Zones - 114   Countries - 293    Hours - 36
Score - 2,540,000

Rig:  TS850 + 400W Out amp.  An unknown JA tribander up 60' with 20 as a
dummy load, of course.  Dipole for 40 and inverted vee for 80.  More
importantly, no air conditioning.  That fact alone cost half a million in
points all by itself in the 95 deg / 80% humidity on Bali. My host, Made, was
as wonderful a host as one could ever ask for.  I was very lucky to operate
in YB at all under the current license contraints and general attitude
regarding foreign hams operating in-country.

I didn't go to win and I didn't.  I had a great time in the contest trying to
crack pile ups on stations I just knew needed that Z 28 for a double mult.
 It was really tough to be heard by the US, SA, and Caribe guys and quite
time consuming but it always seemed worthwhile when I would get through and
the guy wanted to kiss my mother for the double mult.  It was very clear to
me that the majority of the folks who generally feel they have the toughest
odds on getting Z28 and surrounding Z's aren't aware of the paths that are
there nearly every day and night.  I wasn't before this trip either...  I
will put out a comprehensive report for the multitude of "Deserving" out
there soon.  YB1AQS, who won for YB and I are in the process of swapping logs
because we have determined through Email that the distance between Bali and
his QTH ocassional brought one or the other of us openings the other never
experienced.

But heres just a taste.  My beam heading for the States was 17'...straight
through the JA curtain.  The Caribbean is up around 345'...straight through
the EU curtain.  The SA guys and gals are all alone down at 250' - but
whoever points the beam out that direction ?  8P9Z had the loudest sig heard
on 40m from NA/SA including all those big multi's in the States.  YB is
reachable from the states on 40 both at your sunset and sunrise if your beam
is big and high enough to ERP the path open but the holes to hear the States
above 7,150 are very few.  My deepest apologizes for not taking time to note
the exact freq's though I was able to hear W3LPL calling me at his sunset
with him dead center on a BC station on 7,180.  YB1AQS had the same problem
though we both note that on CW that is not a problem.  BTW, I will forward
his Email msg to me for your use.  He will be active on CW so work him and
schedule him on other bands as I feel positive he will appreciate your
knowledge of other band openings to your area.

75 is a total mess because this where the YD (sort of Novice types with 2M
and 75M only) hang out to say nothing of the thousands of pirates in YB that
use 75M.  The cleanest area is 3,750 to 3,815.

At Caribe sunrise, they are the only sigs heard at all on 20 but most of them
are working the EU's into a frenzy and don't stop for a QRZ to Asia and
Oceana so we can be heard.  Very few were smart enough to QRX EU for a moment
to see who else was out there in Never Never land trying to give them a
double mult.  15 is best at your sunset and 10 is tough  because we are
working EU like mad when you may have a path to us. If you take a look at
your GreyLine software you will see that YB is so big that the time
differences for GreyLine prop are quite different, as an example, for me in
Bali and Joerg YB1AQS in West Java.

In closing, let me say this -- when in doubt, ALWAYS move a YB if he calls ya
to another opportune band or schedule something later.  I think you will find
these guys are not your little paper boy types but instead much higher up in
the food chain.  They generally have at least a tribander up around 50 or 60
feet and, believe it or not, most have 1 or 2 elements on 40 ants on top of
those tribanders.  Don't bother to move a YC to 20 as they cannot operate on
that band.  When in doubt - MAKE a path open as they are there MUCH more
often then we think down here in NA/SA.  My experience is that though they
may have a beam, they most likely do not have a Great Circle map and a gentle
hint on heading may be in order or they will be looking at their flat world
map to find ya. Only the most serious of them have ever heard of GreyLine.
 There are 60,000 Indonesia hams but as an example consider this....In the
area I was in on Bali, there are 600 hams of which only 8 are YB's and of
that bunch only a few are active on the air and of that bunch most are DX'ers
only.  Meaning they probably won't be CQing when you think the path is open
to them which means if they are there they are LISTENING to you and trying to
be heard.

I am sure much of the above applys to the surrounding Zones. I won't tell you
how many BY, HS, VU, 4S7, 8Q7, XZ, etc called me in my runs...I hate to see
big boys cry.   More to follow after the analysis is done though I will shoot
for before CW weekend.     73 Dennis  YB9BV guest op.  ex AA7VB  now K7 B V
...talk about coincidences - that was my #16 choice!