K6LA (ex-AB6FO) phone SS

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: K6LA (ex-AB6FO) phone SS
From: KWIDELITZ@delphi.com (KWIDELITZ@delphi.com)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 16:33:04 -0500 (EST)
                        ARRL SWEEPSTAKES -- 1996

      Call: K6LA                      Section: LAX
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator High Power

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS   SECTIONS

      160        0        0        -
       80      125      250        -
       40      464      928        -
       20      963     1926        -
       15      128      256        -
       10        0        0        -
     -----------------------------------
     Totals   1680     3360       78

               Score:  262,080

Equipment Description:

TS-950SD,  TS-950SDX, Alpha 87A, Dentron MLA 2500 (see  comments)
DuneStar  Bandpass Filters, TopTen Automatic Stub Selection Boxes  and
Band Decoders, DuneStar antenna phasing boxes for stacks.

80 Meters:    Force 12 EF180S rotating dipole @ 77'
40 Meters:    Force 12 EF340 3 element monobander @ 72'
20 Meters:    Force 12 EF420 4 element monobanders stacked at 85'/53'
15/10 Meters: Force 12 EF515/410 5 element on 15 / 4 element on 10
              interlaced on one boom, stacked at 53'/33'

Comments:

I found out real early trying to cute and use Ken 6 Los Angeles
as phonetics didn't work. Kilo 6 Lima Alpha worked great.

With the stacked monobanders on 20 and a no compromise 3 elements
on 40, my strategy was to stay on 20 as long as possible and then
stay  on  40  as long as possible. It worked pretty  well,  as  I
improved my score from last year by almost 10%. I did forget that
with  better  antennas, 20 would open earlier for me, and  I  got
back on in the morning at 1400. I should have gotten up earlier!

The  stacked  monobanders  sure  did  work  great  at  holding  a
frequency. But the QRM on 20 was really murder.

As  I was warming up a frequency before the contest, I  worked  a
station that told me he had a sked with MAR for 2100 a few khz up
from where I was, since he always had a problem with MAR. Since I
worked about 6 in CW, I didn't take a look. It figures MAR was my
last mult and I only got one the whole contest.

Murphy paid a visit, breaking the footswitch. I started to  panic
when the radio wouldn't go back to receive. But relief was only a
few  moments  away and came as soon as I  pulled  the  footswitch
plug.

>From  looking  at  the band breakdowns, it  seems  this  was  two
contests,  one on 80 on the east coast and one on 20 on the  west
coast.

73. Ken, K6LA - Ken Six Los Angeles, KWIDELITZ@DELPHI.COM
                ex-AB6FO