K5DU M/S 1996 SS Phone

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: K5DU M/S 1996 SS Phone
From: k5na@bga.com (Richard L. King)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 19:16:45 -0600
                        ARRL SWEEPSTAKES -- 1996

      Call: K5DU                     Section:  South Texas
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Multi Single

     1552 QSOs          78 Mults        242,112 Final Score

Operator List: K5DU (ex KU2Q), K5NA, WB2Q

Short story:

Susan wanted to break in her new call on SweepsStakes SSB. Since our son,
Steven - WB2Q, was visiting us on leave from the Air Force, we all decided
to do a multi-op. This was a true multi-single using only one radio since we
only have one tower with a tribander and wires up in the air.

I started the contest for about an hour and a half. Steven listened on
another pair of headphones and I could tell he was getting fidgety from
hearing stuff I wasn't picking out. So when I asked, "do you want to
operate", he said "sure". He sat there for the next 11 hours grinding them
out while Susan and I slept.

I was up and back on at 1230Z. I noted that Steven had worked 77 mults from
the night before and we only needed KL7. I looked back, and there was VY1JA
in the log on 40 meters. I remember what a struggle it was to find Jay when
we were operating in New York. I like being in Texas for SS.

I ran a little while on 75 meters waiting for the higher bands to open, and
was called shortly by KL7EU and got his number 3. GREAT, we had a sweep
really early in the contest for a change. It was unexpected being called by
a KL7 on 75 meters. I like being in Texas for SS.

At 1530Z Susan sat down at the radio and took the controls. Steven and I
jumped in the K5NA truck and headed for Houston and the Astrodome, about a 3
hour trip. I had tickets for the Oilers/Dolphins game, but that ended up a
bust when Miami won by kicking a field goal on the last play of the game.

When we got home we found out that Susan had worked at it all day Sunday
ending up with the numbers listed above. I think we all got to operate as
much as we wanted and made a good dent starting Susan's new call off. Now
she has to order new QSLs from Wayne. We all like being in Texas for SS.

73, Richard
K5NA@BGA.COM
http://www.realtime.net/~k5na