N2BIM SS SSB '96

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: N2BIM SS SSB '96
From: n2bim@warwick.net (Gene Ingraham)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:09:45 -0800
N2BIM  Single Op,  Hi Power,  Unassisted  1996 SS  SSB

        CALL    SEC    SCORE    QSOs    SECs   Hours

     N2BIM      NNJ   12,168     78      78      12

   Exchange sent:  ## B N2BIM 79 NNJ

Being that I much prefer CW I decided to try the 78/78 routine again
this year.  I missed it by only 1 section last year, but I didn't
start until 2:00 PM local last year.  This year, I started around
22:00 Z, working VY1JA as my first QSO.  After that, it was a lot
of tuning and listening.  I finally got Alaska around 2:00 PM local
on Sunday.  There was a huge pileup on KL3/(I forget the rest) who
was working "Only for a Sweep" QSOs.  I tried that one for awhile,
gave up, saying I'd come back later, and then tuned down the band
a few khz.   I found another KL7 at 14159 and worked him first call
for the Sweep.  Quit and went in to watch the football game.

I must admit that the guys who just go QRZ with no call after a contact
are
messing up the S&P op.  If they don't get an immediate answer to that
QRZ, the guy who is listening, (me) still does not know who they are.
So,
I either wait until he starts CQing, or move on.  In most instances,
I would move on.  If I were going for QSO count, they would be missing
me
on that run up the band.  Had they given their call with the QRZ, I'd
have
punched it into the computer, found out if I worked him, and made a Q if
I hadn't.

All in all, it was fun.  Not as much fun as CW, of course.  I look
forward to next weekend!  73,  de Gene...N2BIM.

n2bim@warwick.net