CQWW CW-KJ9C,SO-LP-AB-Unassisted

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: CQWW CW-KJ9C,SO-LP-AB-Unassisted
From: CRICHTON_MELVIN_J@Lilly.com (MEL)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 15:29:13 +0000 (GMT)
                    CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1996          KJ9C

      Call: KJ9C                     Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator, LOW power
                                                Unassisted

      160       17       36     2.12      8      11
       80       77      199     2.58     12      41
       40       87      227     2.61     22      50
       20      158      424     2.68     22      71
       15      124      330     2.66     21      64
       10        3        7     2.33      2       3
     Totals    466     1223     2.62     87     240  =>  399,921
                                                        =========

34 HOURS

Equipment Description: Kenwood TS940 at 100W, dipoles on 160, 80
Vertical on 40-10, ewes and beverage for low band receive.

Club Affiliation: Hoosier Contesters (HICKS)

               Mel Crichton  KJ9C

Comments: Managed to work 9Y4H on all six bands, lots of other five banders.
Frustrating to hear JAs on 80 and 160 and not be able to work them with
low power... Even worse when nobody else is returning their CQ's! Even
heard one JA on 40m RIGHT AFTER SUNSET! One QSO shy of 400K with ten minutes
to go,  and can't find anybody on 40 not in the log who can hear me. Being
in the midwest has it's disadvantages for sure. During early band openings,
the Europeans assumed I was a K1... should have gotten a vanity call! Thanks
to all who stayed with me to get the call correct. Only way I can make a
stronger 100 watt signal is to improve antennas. XYL won't like me cutting
down the forest, so maybe the trees will sprout some wires
to hold them together this winter. Wore me out, but lots of fun. 73. Mel