KK5GT CQWWCW 96 SO/LP/Assisted

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: KK5GT CQWWCW 96 SO/LP/Assisted
From: tv4029wx@khbs-khog.com (Steve Gibbs)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 19:13:41 -0800
1996 CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST

     Call used: KK5GT                                          Location: 04

     Category: Single Op Assisted         Mode: CW              Power: 80W

     Callsign of Operator: KK5GT

     Exchanged Information: KK5GT RST 04
     Hours of Operation: 12:23

     band    QSOs   points    zones     ctys
     _______________________________________
     160        2        0        2        1
      80       20       38        9       12
      40       28       66       10       18
      20       70      178       16       33
      15       43      109       15       24
      10        3        8        3        3
     _______________________________________
     TOTAL    166      399       55       91         SCORE: 58,254

      I found this to be an extremely enjoyable time, although there
      was no inkling of a serious effort in the KK5GT shack.  A few
      observations.  My first ham radio contact was on April 8, 1993.
      K8RNQ was the gracious ham who put up with my nervous fist and
      gave me the moment I will always remember.  At that time,
      we were heading into the sunspot minimum and I've known nothing
      else but poor propagation and endless unanswered calls.  I got
      a glimpse of the other side this weekend.  I worked 10 Scandinavian
      stations that I could barely hear.  23 Japanese stations returned
      my call, many on the first effort.  It was huge fun!  I can't wait
      for the upturn.
      Also, if I could ask for advice.  Several times this weekend, I
      called stateside stations calling CQ.  I needed the zones and, in
      some instances, the country.  On more than one occasion, I would get
      a "?", followed by the station continuing CQ.  How do you work a
      stateside contact for the mult without causing problems?  I must add
      that several stations did give me needed multis and for that, I am
      truly grateful.
      Also amazed at the number of really talented CW ops out there.  It was
      a great weekend.  73

      Name: Steve Gibbs                     Call: KK5GT
           22 Aberdeen Ct
           Fort Smith, AR  72903