ARRL 160 Score PI4COM

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: ARRL 160 Score PI4COM
From: norf@euronet.nl (Rob Snieder PA3ERC)
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 18:44:29 -0500
150 QSO's  44 Sections   13.200 points

Operators: PA3BBP, PA3ERC  Support crew: PA3EWP, PA3FQA

Station description:
Yaesu FT990 + Ameritron lineair 400 Watts
1/4 Wave vertical
2 beverages USA (was broken) / VE, magnetic loop (as test, did not use
it)
Logging CT9.27

Comments:
We operated only the second night, we participated to test out the
antenna's
and give away multies for who needed PA on the topband. As I heard the
propagation were better the first night, but anyway we had fun and work
quit
a view west coast stations. Unfortunately the beverage pointing to VE
was
working better then the one pointing to the USA, at daylight we found
out
the beverage was broken about 30 meter from the feeding point, this
explained
our receiving problems. We heard plenty station calling but we couldn't
pull
them out. We will check this next time before it's getting dark. This is
the
first time PI4COM entered the ARRL 160 meter contest, we never had the
feeling
we were ready for it due to the poor antenna situation. The 1/4 wave
vertical
we are currently using is performing outstanding. We will improve our
receiving
part in the comming months, at least 2 more 2-sided beverages will be
added to
cover South America and the Far East.

See you all next weekend in the ARRL 10 meter contest, remember 10 is
not dead
it just needs some activity !

73 Rob PA3ERC

Rob Snieder PA3ERC

member of Contestgroup Oude Maas PI4COM/PA6WPX

Homepage PI4COM : http://www.euronet.nl/users/norf/pi4com.html
                  Now with lots of picture of the station !

Caribbean Tour 1996 page: http://www.igr.nl/~pa3dmh/tour1996.htm

WF1B FRIEND.INI : http://www.wf1b.com/updates.html

Internet e-mail : norf@euronet.nl
Packet Radio    : PA3ERC@PI8MBQ