K3MM ARRL 160 CW Score

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: K3MM ARRL 160 CW Score
From: kf3p@cais.cais.com (Tyler G Stewart )
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 00:42:11 -0000
                     ARRL 160 METER CONTEST -- 1996

      Call: K3MM                     Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator High Power

               QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/QSO    SECTIONS  COUNTRIES

     Totals    862    1940     2.25         77         30    =   207,580

13 hours operating time

Equipment Description:

                FT1000MP, Alpha 87
                1/4 wave sloper at 110'
                Dual band EWE's: Dual-phased NE and single W

Club Affiliation: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:  After 3 hours of running loud stateside at over 100/hr, I
decided
        to take a look at my RX antennas as I wasnt hearing any better on
        them than the TX antenna.  I discovered that the preamp splitter I
        was using was broken.  As soon as I bypassed it, the band came
alive!
        I probably missed a few of Europeans calling the first few hours...
        This problem plagued me in the CQWW as well...  The fickle 1/4 wave
        sloper seems to work very well for both stateside and DX.  I wont
beat
        those first-tier guys, but it doesnt take long to bust pileups.
        Only missed Yukon for a "sweep".  Last holdouts besides were SF,
SJV,
        and EB which called in early Sunday AM!  This is a fun contest for
        a guy with a Sweepstakes-plus grade of station...and I'm finally
        getting used to my new call!

73, Tyler K3MM ex-KF3P