K4HQ/QRP 10m Mixed Score

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: K4HQ/QRP 10m Mixed Score
From: kt4ld@juno.com (ANDREW H LEWIS)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 20:46:34 EST
                                 ARRL 10 METER CONTEST-1996

Call: K4HQ/QRP                   State: NC
Category: Single Operator Mixed          Hours operated: 13

Mode        QSO          QSO PTS       States        Countries
ITU Zones
CW            49               196                 28                4
                       0
SSB          159              318                 25               13
Totals      208               514                 53               17
                    1

Total Score= 36,494

Comments:
It was a wonderful contest. Condx on Friday night and Saturday were
terrible! It picked up on Sunday when I had my big runs. Best DX goes to
ZL2DX. I worked him at 20:28, very weak but copyable. He must have good
ears. My first California station was on Saturday when I only made a few
contacts. I tuned the band and heard KD4GW; I almost kept tuning because
I thought he was in NC but to my surprise he was in California. Thanks to
my good friend Jason, AB4LX, for stopping to ragchew with me on Saturday
afternoon on Phone and CW. I also have to thanks N7TR for my only Nevada
contact on phone. Condx were very strange. I could hear regions of the
country one minute and not hear them again the next. Does anyone know
why? For instance I worked KD4TT in Alabama at 14:26 Sunday morning and
he was peaking over 59 along with many other Alabama stations but only 10
min later I can't hear them at all instead the band is almost totally
dead!!!
Then 10 min later I start to hear the Midwest like Michigan, Wisconsin,
Illinois, Minnesota, etc and work them for the next hour or two then the
band dies out again. About 30 minutes later I start to hear weak CA
stations.
Also, I don't understand why every station I heard Friday night and
Saturday (even the locals) had a flutter on their signal. Then Sunday
hardly anyone has a flutter. Is it the Meteorites or something.
I must also thank N5JA for pulling me out of the mud this morning along
with many others. It was very difficult, in fact some people on got the
QRP part but not my callsign like VE7DX. It took about 10 minutes to work
him for a new Multiplier.

 I wish that I had  computer log so my rates would have been up. I am not
a fast writer.

Funny things that happened:
One guy worked me 15 times in the contest. I was calling CQ this
afternoon (Sun) and the guy would call me about every 5-10 minutes. I
don't know if this guy is computer logged or if he just can't remember.
While I was calling CQ a station came back to my old callsign (KT4LD) and
I kept trying to tell him that my call was K4HQ. The reason he came back
to KT4LD is because he recognized my voice when I was CQing and he
couldn't copy my callsign so he came back to my old one. The I started
CQing with the old one and made one contact with it before I realized and
called the station back and gave him the real call (I've only had this
call for about 2 weeks and had the other one for about a year). Luckily
everything truned out for the best.

Equipment:
10m dipole in the attic. 80m dipole in the attic. Rig: Kenwood TS 820s
and Ten-Tec Argonaut 509. Audio: Heil Pro-Set with HC4 element for DXing
and Contesting.

                                 73
                                K4HQ
Andrew Lewis            16 YEARS OLD        EXTRA CLASS
Formerly: KE4LJM, KE4LJM/NA 067, KT4LD
PAST OPERATIONS: ZF2/KT4LD, ZF8ZP, ZF2ZX, 6Y5NR, 6Y5/KT4LD, XE/KT4LD,
XE9LD
QSL Manager for: TF/WF0E, HS0E, HZ1ZM, TF2YE
DXCC, WAS, WAC, Won 1996 ARRL DX PHONE QRP NC, Won CQWW SSB 1995 QRP NC