Mountaintopping on 10: N6MU so/hp/mixed

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: Mountaintopping on 10: N6MU so/hp/mixed
From: gadmsm@apollo.adcom.uci.edu (Sue Moran)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 16:17:03 -0800 (PST)
        ARRL 10 METER CONTEST -- 1996

N6MU @ N6NB (Single operator/unassisted, high power, both modes)

          QSOs           Multipliers (Domestic/DX)

CW        314            51          (41/11)

SSB       756            63          (44/19)

Total    1070           114                  316,008 points

Comments (by N6NB):

N6MU guest-operated at my cabin in the Tehachapi Mountains--and
did pretty well in what was basically a VHF contest until Sunday.

On my way up the mountain late Friday night (John had one up much
earlier), I saw a lot of meteors.  "Geminids is really putting on
a show," I said to myself.  When I got to the cabin, I found out
it really was a good show:  John had already worked every western
state except Wyoming via meteor scatter on an otherwise dead band
(he got Wyoming later).

That was a preview of what things would be like:  it was a VHF
contest.  John worked more than 300 California stations (from San
Diego to Sacramento) on tropo, and he caught several sporadic E
openings Saturday--plus some F2 on trans-equatorial paths.

But on Sunday everything changed:  the F2 m.u.f. on northerly
transcontinental paths reached 28 MHz and the race was on.
With enormous pile-ups, John made 195 QSOs during his best
hour Sunday (1900-2000z); he also had a 120-QSO hour on CW
during the F2 opening.

When it was over, John had 1070 QSOs, 114 multipliers and 316,008
points--without any northern-latitude DX contacts (i.e., no
Europeans and no JAs).  ...Not bad for a West Coast single-op
running a 3-element trap tribander at 40 feet, with a TS-140 and
a Drake L4B amplifier running on a 110-volt generator.  I guess
this shows why a mountaintop is a good place to be during a VHF
contest...

73,

Wayne, N6NB