K3WWP's Addition to the 160M Stew

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: K3WWP's Addition to the 160M Stew
From: johns@bankswith.apollotrust.com (John H Shannon)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 15:54:59 -0500
This is my first time posting my results to this reflector, so if I don't
do things quite right, please be tolerant. Better yet, be tolerant and tell
me what I am doing wrong.

K3WWP Contest Station Description:

I operate 'pure' QRP (and CW only) with an actual radiated power
around 5 W using the following:

Transmitter: Homebrew 9 tube rig with a 6Y6 final amplifier
Transmitter Power Output: 5 W on all bands
Antennas: 160/80/40/15 - Random wire with apex 30 ft high
          20 - Ground mounted vertical dipole
          10 - Sloping dipole with center 20 ft high
Receiver: ICOM R71A       Transmatch: Homebrew
Keyer: CMOS Super Keyer II with a homebrew paddle
Computer: Old Tandy 1000-SX  Program: CT v6.26
QTH: On a small lot in a town in a river valley.

My score was 101 QSO's, 154 QSO Points, X4 (QRP multiplier) = 616 points in
9.25 hours of operating.

The actual time was a couple of hours less, but because of the one-break
rule, my official time is 9.25 hours.

A very, very, enjoyable contest from the actual on the air activity to
figuring the score.

I am glad there was something to actually copy in this contest. It gets
boring copying 599's and sections, since I long since have learned the
sections of most contesters and just have to check them to see if they may
have moved.

I think the optional RST report should be dropped as it is not necessary,
and the only ones I got were the usual 599's anyway.

For much of the contest, especially before midnight, I was working stations
with my 5 watts and random wire like a station running 200 watts and phased
verticals.  Conditions were good, and the pileups not so huge. I got many
of my 101 stations very easily, and did not have to repeat my GS too often.

I think with the 4X multiplier for QRP, a well equipped QRP station, i.e.
one with a superb location and a big antenna system to increase his ERP,
may wind up with the top score in this one. After all, I didn't do too
badly with my simple QRP setup here. The high power stations probably have
to make 3 to 3.5 times as many QSOs to equal the QRPer's score, figuring
the high power station is going to have more higher point QSO's.

I noticed some stations I haven't heard for a while in this test. Maybe
having it over the Christmas holidays gave some contesters a chance to get
in a contest that they hadn't had for a while.

I would have liked the contest to have an award for the QSO with the
highest KM per Watt figure. This would let us see who made the most of
their power.  I talked to Bill about this, but he said many of the
contesters were not if favor of this.  What do you think?  If there is
another contest next year, and enough interest in a KM/W award, I may
donate a trophy or certificate. The best I could do was N0IJ at 1308 KM /
5W ERP = 261.6 KM/W.

If you want to learn more about my ham adventures with 'pure' QRP, come
visit K3WWP's Ham Radio Activities on the web at:

73 de John