VE6JY RAC WINTER TEST m/op effort

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: VE6JY RAC WINTER TEST m/op effort
From: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca (Don Moman)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 15:58:12 -0700 (MST)

VE6JY RAC WINTER TEST   m/op effort

ops: VE6DGG  VE6BF  G3OUF  VE6LDX  VE6LCB
     VE6JY VE6MK  Christine(no call yet)

RAC WINTER CONTEST Summary

  160CW      184         179        634       7
  160SSB      34          34        252       7
   80CW      197         194       1068      10
   80SSB     474         440       3582      12
   40CW      215         211       1204      10
   40SSB     227         214       1958      12
   20CW      174         173        808      12
   20SSB     490         482       2398      12
   15CW      100         100        550      10
   15SSB     163         162        976      12
   10CW        3           3         30       2
   10SSB       8           8         72       2
    6CW        2           2         20       1
    6SSB       2           2         20       1
    2CW        5           5         60       2
    2SSB      58          57        580       2

 Totals     2336        2266      14212     114

    Final Score = 1,620,168 points.

Another great bit of fun, and with the date further away from New
Years eve it was easier on most of the ops. However the forecast
low temps of -45C and some pretty brisk north winds didn't help!
Fortunately it didn't get quite that low, but still very chilly
at -35C. Nearly all the rotors turned OK (the homebrew gear boxes
use kerosene not gear oil) but they mainly remained fixed
eastwards. The exception, of course, was the JA antenna - in this
test that means the VY1JA antenna! Thanks again for all the nice
VY1 multipliers, Jay.

We ran our usual multi set up, 5 HF positions (3SSB, 2CW) with 4
of them running amplifiers.  A sixth position was for 2 and 6
meters. All of the HF sites are computer linked using Trlog
contesting software.  Trlog gets better each year, the scoring
was perfect and the linking worked 100% with no glitches at all!

Conditions were good on the low bands. Having the other 160 test
at the same time caused some headaches for our 160cw op, asking
for a ser# nearly always resulted in a repeat of their grid
square! 160 was only at 100 watts so we may have suffered a bit
there, but just didn't have 5th amp to use. 80 was our best band
for q's and was open very nicely to the east coast well before
the contest ended, so we had two chances add to the totals there.
40 was in good shape but not that much activity. Wide open in the
daytime - worked a real JA (sorry Jay) around 1 pm with big
signals. I'm sure we left a few VE stations calling and wondering
why we couldn't hear them on 40 but we had tremendous
thunderstorm type noise to the east that afternoon - I heard
another VE3 also complaining about the same noise so it wasn't
just something here. Missed VY2 and VE8 on both 80 and 40 cw.  20
was as usual, pretty well gone to the east at the contest start
but we worked Europe much of the early morning hours till the
east coast faded in by sunrise.  15 was in well for an hour or
two, altho more to the USA than Canada, but we did a sweep on
phone but missed VE4 and VO on CW.  Not much doing on 10, a few
locals and VE7ZZZ on both modes for some extra mults.  Couldn't
work VE5 on 10 (no problem on 2 meters!) this year altho we tried
several skeds near the end of the test, but no luck.

Bottom line was quite a few more Q's and multipliers but only a
slightly higher score than last year - we worked about 1100 US
and DX stations at 2 points per...  Didn't seem like we worked
many of the xxxRAC bonus guys either, altho XM5RAC got in our log
every where except 6 and 10m.

      Continent List

                   160    80    40    20    15    10    ALL
                   ---    --    --    --    --    --    ---
  USA calls   =    156   217   132   254   133     1    893
  VE calls    =     55   409   279   227   119    10   1099
  N.A. calls  =      2     4     7    13     4     0     30
  S.A. calls  =      0     1     4     2     2     0      9
  Euro calls  =      0     3     2   125     0     0    130
  Afrc calls  =      0     0     0     0     0     0      0
  Asia calls  =      0     0     0     1     0     0      1
  JA calls    =      0     0     1    20     0     0     21
  Ocen calls  =      0     0     0    13     4     0     17

  Unknowns    =      0     0     0     0     0     0      0

  Total calls =    213   634   425   655   262    11   2200

As always, lots of fun at a fast pace but with a relaxed friendly
attitude about the whole thing. Lots of band hopping and skeds
too, everyone was very willing to cooperate if they could change
band or modes to help.

Happy NEW YEAR de VE6JY

VE6JY is Don Moman               email: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Box 127 Lamont, Alberta