WA2DFI Stewed in AZ

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: WA2DFI Stewed in AZ
From: dfi@cyberhighway.net (Scott Cowling)
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 15:53:15 -0700 (MST)
WA2DFI 1996 Stew Perry Top Band Distance Challenge

QSO's:          126
final score:    944 points
grid square:    DM43 (AZ)

Rig:            OMNI VI, 100W output
Antennas:       8' diameter un-amplified shielded loop @ 15'
                180' Inv L @ 25'
                130' balloon supported vertical @ 27' w/ 2 130' elevated radials
                580' E/W unterminated single wire Beverage @ 3'

Comments:  Got a late start (0230Z) due to problems tuning the new shielded
loop.  Finally got it going, and boy, was I glad I did!  It heard best of
all the antennas (yes even the Beverage).  QRN levels came up by 0600Z/0700Z
- my apologies to those who called that I could not hear.  By 0900Z there
was nobody on the band that I could copy that I hadn't worked, and CQs
brought no response for what seemed like hours.  Sure wish I hadn't given up
and stayed around for the JA opening instead!

Great contest; grid square exchange makes it lots of fun!  Hope it returns
again next year - I will if it does!!!!

Scotty WA2DFI