NAQP SSB WA1CFS

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: NAQP SSB WA1CFS
From: jackhamm@cris.com (Jack Hamm)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 18:54:42 -0500 (EST)
Well, all I can say is bummer. I had a real bad NAQP this year. I got NA at
the last minute, but it kept saying NO RESTART.BIN.  I still haven't solved
this problem.  My antenna wouldn't tune do to ice, so I had to drop it, and
heat it up with a hair dryer.  My lowband antenna fell down, for no apparent
reason.  I only operated 2 hours and then gave up.

65 QSOs X 24 Mults. = 1560 Points

Now, the good part, what I learned:

1. A Cushcraft R7000 isn't an antenna of choice contesting.
2. I need to put up the Cushcraft A4S that is in pieces in my garage.
3. I need a much better lowband antenna.
4. I need a SSB filter for my rig.

Now, how I will solve these problems:

1. Install my A4S or a X-Beam that I've been working on.
2. Make a balloon supported 160/80M vertical.
3. Make a bamboo loop for RX on 160/80M.
4. Install my filter.
5. Install my logger sooner than 5 minutes before contest start.

Station:

Yaesu FT900AT
Cushcraft R7000
Alpha-Delta DX-A sloper
Vectronics manual tuner
(2) Astron RS-20M Power Supplies
Dell Dimension XPS 486SX/33MHz
Heil HC4/5 Boom Mic
Bencher BY-2 Paddles

Well, that's how the test was from here.  73 de Jack WA1CFS