N0AX ARRL CW Score

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: N0AX ARRL CW Score
From: hwardsil@WOLFENET.com (Ward Silver)
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 15:24:55 -0800 (PST)
For Jimmy:

        HR      QSO     MULT    SCORE
N0AX    24      476     167     234468  Sgl-op, Low-Power, Assisted

        QSO    MULT
160       9      6      Paled in comparison to 80
 80      62     27      Wow!  Who turned this band on?  WAC!
 40     100     47      Very quiet, very open, very long...
 20     250     60      Solid - the Queen of DX bands
 15      54     26      Flashes of brilliance, but only to the southeast
 10       1      1      The annual US-LU QSO Party

It was clear by mid-week that I wasn't going to have the energy to do a
full-time entry, so I gave myself a license to GOOF OFF!  Yes, without
guilt I could stay on 80 way after sunrise to chase new countries (it
worked, too!).  I could hang around on 20 and not give a hoot about trying
to work every insane Sunday pileup on 15.  I could watch Seattle trounce
the Lakers (Yeah, Van Exel...you OWN the Sonics, doncha?) and just have
fun.

To tell you the truth, though, I missed doing it full-bore.  Low-band
conditions were just fabulous: QRP on 80 to ZD8 and V5, 8 new countries on
80-meters, and almost 24-hour openings on 40-meters. (This is the West
Coast, remember, we get excited about stuff like that.)  It would have
been a good year to really put the hammer down, so to speak.  I hope to
see some records set, even at the dead bottom center of the sunspot cycle!

Who let 20 out of the cage, anyway?  Couldn't find a CQ frequency at all
on Saturday, and then wound up on 14098 Sunday with moderate success.
Stuck in with all digitoids...sounds like the men's room on the morning
after the big chili feed. (I know, gratuitous poo-poo jokes...but it
really does...)

So anyway, time for the Big Guns to tell us what was *really* going on out
there and who IS king of the hill, anyway?  Another good weekend in the
bag by any measure...it's been a rather good DX season, hasn't it?  And
it's just supposed to get better?

73, Ward N0AX