W9WI ARRL CW 20m SBLP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: W9WI ARRL CW 20m SBLP
From: desmith@Telalink.Net.xxx (Doug Smith)
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 22:15:23 -0600 (CST)
                 ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST -- 1997
      Call: W9WI                     Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                       Category: SingleOp/Low Pwr/20m monoband

     Totals    471     1413   3.0       79  =   111,627

Equipment Description:
     TS-940, Force 12 C3 @ 20m

Club Affiliation: Tennessee Contest Group

                             Signature _Douglas E. Smith, W9WI, 2/17/97_

           MAILING ADDRESS:
               Doug Smith  W9WI
               1385 Old Clarksville Pike
               Pleasant View, TN 37146-8098
                (County hunters note: CHEATHAM CO.!  K4RO is only other
active HF op
                 in the county...)

COMMENTS:

        I should have gone to K4VX..   (Hey Lew, who was operating there?
Was that you?)  This was my first serious entry in a DX contest from home.
I've had the C3 up since September.  It works great, but... it was a very
frustrating experience.

        I'm a "rate operator".  As in, I'll tolerate some S&P for
multipliers, but if no runs are forthcoming I lose interest quickly.  It
seems it isn't possible to run from west of the Appalachians without an
amplifier.  I could get brief runs going for 10-20 minutes, but invariably
I'd get run off the frequency by a W2 or W3.  (interesting note: two W1s
tried to run me off, but both went elsewhere when I asked them to QSY...
One 2X1 in the 2nd area succeeded in running me off 14.089...)  I think most
of them couldn't hear me with their beams on EU, but at least two knew
darned well I was there.

        Don't know if there's a fix.  But I can say, there's no way I'm ever
doing this contest seriously again without an amplifier, at least not from
west of the mountains.  If the budget doesn't allow one by next year, I'll
putter around on 80 & work on my 5BDXCC...

        Noticed a *lot* of neat mults on from Africa - 9U, 9G, 9L, 5X, V5..
Also landed JQ1NGT/JD1 for an all-time new country.

73 Doug

Douglas E. Smith  W9WI/4                desmith@Telalink.net.xxx
1385 Old Clarksville Pike               (preferred for long files)
Pleasant View, TN  37146-8098 USA              -or-
(615) 746-5205                          72777.3143@compuserve.com.xxx
                                        (preferred for time-critical info)
(.xxx added to end of email address to hopefully foil spammers)