ARRL DX CW - HP/SO, no packet

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: ARRL DX CW - HP/SO, no packet
From: k7fr@concord.televar.com (Gary Nieborsky)
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 22:32:46 -0800 (PST)
For WA4ZXA:

 QSO    QSO PTS  COUNTRIES
  405        1215              126        =   153,090

For everyone else:

                ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST -- 1997

      Call: K7FR                      Country:   United States, Eastern
Washington
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator/High Power

      BAND  QSO    QSO-PTS  COUNTRIES

      160          9       27                    5
       80         27       81                  17
       40         81      243                28
       20      250      750                59
       15         31       93                13
       10           7       21                   4

 Totals    405     1215              126  =   153,090

Excuses, excuses

This was never meant to be a full tilt effort and I didn't disappoint myself.

Friday was Valentines Day and the YL subtley hinted that the last remaining
bottles of vintage Preston Wine Cellars Johannisburg Reisling Blush (1987)
were destined to be consumed that evening after the harmonics were snug in
their beds.  Not wanting to disappoint her I traded the first night 80 and
160 effort for a couple of hours prior to the 2 young-uns arbitrary and
capricious bedtime hour.  Got a good JA run in.

Managed to get in the JA/Oceania mults on 160 Saturday morning.  My alarm
clock turned out to be my companies risk management officer inviting me to a
10 AM meeting with the US Navy to discuss how one of our 230kV transmission
lines managed to jump up in front of one of their A-6 Intruders.  So much
for the mornings EU run on 20. Fortunately the plane survived the encounter.
They managed to cut through 3 conductors (1272 Pheasant for all you utility
types out there). Got back in time to catch the closing moments of 15 and
the news that the YL's van was making some ominus under hood noises.  After
a few mults on 15 and more on 20 I dashed out and adroitly diagnosed the
rude noise as a bad alternator bearing.  Off to the nearest big town (30
miles away) for repair parts.  After selling my soul to the YL to buy a few
hours of op-time I managed to put a respectable number of Q's and mults in
the log

Sunday morning found me on 40 running JA's.  Had a few pleasant surprises;
XU, 3W, E2, BV.  Went to 20 when I started hearing weak and watery EU
signals.  Had a number of nice ones up there too; MJ/K2WR with a BIG signal,
GU, IS0.  2000 hrs found me promising to take the family off to Costco in
the next fartherest big city (60 miles away) at 2100.  At 2050 I heard H44FN
working his way down 20.  I tried to get ahead of him and call CQ but ran
out of spaces and time.

All in all I had a great time and not being pushed to perform for the boxes
allowed me the leisure of listening to some of the role models do their
thing.  Notable signals:  KL7Y (did you ever do 15?), AH6MZ (loud off the
back), OA4SS (first SA heard on as bands opened).

Honor Roll:  V51Z - Who was that masked Ham?  LOUDEST AF station I have ever
heard!!!!  Louder on 80 and 40 than Carib stations.  Worked him on 80 almost
1/2 hour after his sunrise.

SSB weekend will find my station being used by our local club as a try-out
for our new vanity club call; W7TT.