[3830] KT4ZX - CQ 160M SSB

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KT4ZX - CQ 160M SSB
From: leewells@lexmark.com (Lee Wells)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 14:48:01 -0500 (EST)
Category:  Single Op / Low Power (100 watts)

CALL                HRS         SCORE     QS0'S     PTS   SECTS    DX

KT4ZX               16          72,275     555     1225    55      4

Equip:  IC-745, Inv. L (50 ft vert) with 4 el radials, Pent-75 laptop running
        WriteLog 7.36, one 2-wire beverage E/W (almost).

Pretty early in to the contest I re-tuned the L to be resonant about 1900 where
I could find a whole.....decided not to even try calling CQ below 1875 or so
(no room and too many big-guns).  Seemed to work pretty well up there, and the
antenna still played well lower when I went S&P'ing (the rig probably didn't
like
the hi swr though).

I spent too much time trying to get the 2-wire beverage up and running.  Finally
got it hooked-up sometime early sunday morning.  It helped pull out
a few weak stations, but I'm not sure its working right yet.

Thanks to the guys on the topband reflector for the help with getting the Inv. L
up and running, it seemed to really play well.  Hearing KH6CC calling CQ, and
working him with one or two calls was really cool!

Sortof a half-hearted effort....got distracted by the girl-friend Friday
evening,
took too many breaks, etc.

Next years game plan -
        1) Take a day of vacation on Friday to sleep!!!!!
        2) Get the antennas ready and tested out WELL before the contest!!!

        73's
        --Lee - KT4ZX