[3830] W4WA SO/SB 15m ARRL SSB test

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W4WA SO/SB 15m ARRL SSB test
From: ab4ru@stc.net (Ron Hooper)
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 00:57:31 +0000
Call Used: W4WA
Catagory: SO
Club: SEDXC
Operator: W4WA
Power: High

QSO's 458,  Countries 86, Score= 118,164

Comments:
  I had planned to not operate any the past weekend. My crystal Ball sez
condx would be the pitts. It was right as usual! I wanted to give the
stacked 5 el yagis a run in bad condition to see what they could do. My
ears are still ringing from the 160 contest QRM last weekend, so sorry I
missed the weak guys and qrp'ers.
  Note of interest, talked to I4LEC and asked what kind of antenna was
producing the strong death ray signal on 15. He reply a TH5, 450 meters
above the average terrain.
The stations with a high antenna done well opening and closing the band,
this past weekend. Their low angle signals sure helped in these
conditions. My antennas are at 35 and 70 feet and seem to lack on the
low angle signals. Never worked any Ja's but most all mults answered my
cq's. Rates were such that it was hard to keep my mind from wondering
off. Dont know how accurate the clock is on CT, it showed 12 hours of
operation. Most of the operating was in the morning hours running
Europe. Best and highest rate was on Sunday morning starting around
1645. On Saturday I was up about 325 cqing and a G called me. I asked
how was my frequency? His reply was great, he was only hearing 3 guys on
the band, me and 2 in Alabama. I quickly turned down to the bottom of
15m and the rate tripled to about 40 per hour. Folks were just not
tuning up that high in the dead band apparently.
cya...Ron W4WA