[3830] Wo4o SO/AB/LP ARRL DX SSB

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] Wo4o SO/AB/LP ARRL DX SSB
From: Ric.Painter@12.collage.net (Ric Painter)
Date: 02 Mar 97 21:54:00 -0600
                ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST -- 1997

      Call: WO4O                     QTH: USA/TN/SE Region/Delta/4
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator
      ON:   23 hours                           LOW Power

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS PTS/Q COUNTRIES ANT
      160        3        9   3.0        2    "T"
       80       24       72   3.0       19    Inv V
       40       51      153   3.0       33    Inv V
       20      160      480   3.0       66    TA33
       15      155      465   3.0       50    TA33
       10       62      186   3.0        7    TA33
     Totals    455     1365   3.0      177  =   241,605

Equipment Description:  Kenwood 450S/AT to TA33 and wires

QRM:  Wow!  What a baptism into my FIRST SO/AB/LP ARRL DX SSB
event.  Mother Nature showed her fury.  Severe thunderstorms.
Tornado watches.  Flash flooding.  The first 12 hours were a
nightmare.  The second night (01-10Z) was worse!  Was like a
war zone with the thunder crashes and lightning strikes.  Thank
God there was no damage to my QTH.  The severe Geomagnetic storm
entering this event didn't help matters either!  I had erected a
160M "drooping T" (70'V/60'H) with 3 elevated radials but the
S9+20 QRN made it virtually useless.  Having failed to QSO KH7R
on 75M before my sunrise I discovered (after daybreak) that my
40M and 75M wires were tangled together.  I quickly solved this
problem.  Heard K9AW/KH2 and several JAs on 40M (but NO QSO).
Waiting too long for DX to ID their 40M RX frequency can be a
waste of valuable S&P time.  I moved on.  Using SLOW AGC helped
me hear better in the midst of the QRN.  Ran 2 local CBers off
of 28.344; that was exciting.  I IDed and asked them to ID.
They refused.  I asked them to continue their QSO so I could
continue tracking their signals.  They went QRT!  About half the
contest was okay; however, valuable time (Qs/Ms) was lost.
Seemed as if activity was lower this year than last.  Aimed for
Southeast Regional Top 5 target.  Hope I hit it.  Although my
parade got rained on I still had FUN!  Now, where's that rainbow?

Club Affiliation: TENNESSEE CONTEST GROUP

73  Wo4o  < Ric.Painter@12.collage.isdn.net >   Ridgetop, TN