[3830] ARRL SSB-N9VVV SO/LP/AB/UA

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SSB-N9VVV SO/LP/AB/UA
From: icq4dx@starnetinc.com (ray ritchie)
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 03:00:58 GMT
--=====================_857819117==_

                   ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST 1997

      Call: N9VVV                    Country:  United States
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator Low Power

      Hours:33 (all the wrong ones,CT says 14.2 not much of a rate,eh!)

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS PTS/Q COUNTRIES

      160       10       30   3.0        8
       80       26       78   3.0       20
       40       43      129   3.0       29
       20      163      489   3.0       65
       15       98      294   3.0       35
       10        9       27   3.0        2
     --------------------------------------

     Totals    349     1047   3.0      159  =   166,473

All reports sent were 59 IL, unless otherwise noted.

Equipment Description:Yaesu FT-990 w/100 watts
                      160m-Inv L 35' vert & carolina windom 160
                       80m-"            "   "                 "
                       40m-"            "   "                 "
                           1/2 sloper from 40' (friday night)
                           1/4 vertical from 50' (saturday night)
                       20m-C-3 @ 50'
                       15m- "     "
                       10m- "     "

Club Affiliation: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:
Friday night stunk here like everywhere else.My lowband wires really
blow.I don't have any high supports and my lot is less than a 1/4 acre.
No excuses though,changes must be made.40m kills me EVERY contest.
Domestic or DX.Some kind of beam is a must here in the midwest.The
sloper was worthless,I CQ'd in my face all night long from +20db
signals.I called ZF2FT for 30 minutes.They were +25 db so I figured
I had to be about S9.Nothing!Crash in the chair from 9:30z to 11:00z.
Prayed for the sun to rise.The first European on 20m was @ 13:08z.
The band opened late for me but signals seemed good.I was in synch
with the band and working the squeakers in between the big guns.
A total S&P effort here.I figured I would do the family thing eat
breakfast with them.BIG mistake!The XYL was PMS'ing big time.(sorry
YL's)She wanted (demanded) that I finish some projects around the
house that I had started.I guess she was kinda right,so I knew I just
kissed the contest good bye.From 16:30z to 5:00z I got about 3 hrs.
in strictly looking for mults.I jumped back on 40m I was still not
working anybody.Can't do this all night,so I slapped together a
1/4 vertical with 4 radials and flung it up and the boom of the beam,
pulled it up and tied off the radials on the fence.Went back in the
house and found ZF2FT.Boom,first call I got through!This is more like
it.The vertical was worth about 20 more q's and 12 mults that I didn't
hear on the first night.Maybe it was conditions.The 40m bottom line
still sucked.160m was better the second night.Good signals from the
southeast.Crashed on the floor about 9:15z,didn't want to get to cozy.
Big mistake no. 2.I completely roached my back.Cozy hell!I didn't get
cozy till about Thursday this week.I couldn't get on the air till
12:28z and 20m was already going but the signals were alot weaker.
My projects were done so I had alot catching up to do.15m opened up
o.k. but it was mainly I's,EA's,CT's.The rest of the contest was
pretty standard stuff with less activity,as usual.Tough to make up
ground on Sunday.There was a good JA opening early but they seemed
to drop out when they should have been peaking.That is just how the
the whole weekend went.Good job to all who stuck in there.
                                                        By the way,
it is official that I have to have the worst call on the world.
If you are a DX station and you need a break from running them at
300/hr. just pick me out of the pileup.About 60% of the stations
I call think my call is N9VV.A typical exchange is "Victor Victor
your 59 K .Thanks the call is N9 Victor Victor Victor ur 59 IL,QSL?
QSL N9 Victor Victor.NO! N9 Victor Victor Victor  Victoria Victoria
Victoria QSL?!Got it N9 Victor Victor Kilo QSL? NO! TRIPLE VICTOR
OVER!!! OK, I got Victor Victor , what is the last letter,over!"
And it goes on and on!!The DX station whose "last ten" was at 400
is now down to 80 and I can just feel the stateside guys breathing
down my neck thinking get that puny signal off the air.I just don't
get it.What do you tell a station who has N9VV when he asks you for
the last letter in your suffix.Is it vanity call time for this kid?
I don't know.

              TNX to all es 73,
                              N9VVV-Ray Ritchie

           MAILING ADDRESS:

          Ray - N9 Victor Victor Victor  "Victor Victor Zulu AGN!"