[3830] BERU VE2ZP 24hr

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] BERU VE2ZP 24hr
From: ve2zp@bbs.ve3jf.ampr.org (ve2zp@bbs.ve3jf.ampr.org)
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 97 15:40:01 UTC
Here is my score from the 1997 Commonwealth Contest, also known as the
"BERU."

VE2ZP   Single Operator 24 hour category

                  Bonus
Band     QSOs      QSOs      Score
80m       117        33      1,245
40m       182        43      1,770
20m       320        36      2,320
15m        26        17        470
10m         4         3         80
---       ---       ---      -----
All       649       132      5,885

Conditions were remarkably stable, and activity was quite high.  I move a
special round of applause for the stations in the UK. They turned out in
tremendous numbers, and made up three-quarters of my log.  There seemed to
be plenty of activity from here in Canada, but I found propagation to
Australia and New Zealand disappointing.   I never worked either place above
40m.  The Contest Expeditions of 9G5VJ, V2/GM0GAV (such a log call!) and
VP2EJT were a real treat.

For those of you who don't know, the Commonwealth Contest is now sixty years
old, and involves Amateurs in those countries that are members of the
Commonwealth of Nations, an organisation of the states that were once part
of the British Empire.

The "BERU" that you heard everyone calling is a throwback to the original
name of the contest, the "British Empire Radio Union" and we all call
"CQ BERU."

There were many people from non-Commonwealth countries helpfully calling in
and handing out QSOs.  While the gesture is nice, you folks don't help our
score at all.  What I found most amusing was hearing a Ukrainian station,
clearly oblivious to what the BERU was all about, diving in and calling
"CQ BERU" just like the rest of us.

73,

Dave Goodwin VE2ZP
Aylmer, QC, Canada