[3830] NK7U WPX Phone 97 M/S

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NK7U WPX Phone 97 M/S
From: k7zo@micron.net (Scott Tuthill)
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 22:04:20 -0700 (MST)
                  CQ WORLD WIDE PREFIX CONTEST -- 1997

      Call: NK7U                     Country:  United States
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Multi Single

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES
      160       20       32   1.6        6 Elevated GP
       80      222      568   2.6       81 Rotating Dipole, 3 el
       40      351     1344   3.8      113 4/4
       20      954     1490   1.6      368 5/5/5/5, 6/6
       15       62      165   2.7       19 6
       10        0        0   0.0        0 none, no matter
     --------------------------------------
     Totals   1609     3599   2.2      587  =   2,112,613

All reports sent were 59, unless otherwise noted.

Operator List: _NK7U, K7ZO, W7ZRC, N7BZ

Equipment Description:
FT-1000MP, TS-950S, and 2 * Amp International amps.

Club Affiliation: Snake River Contest Club

                            Signature Scott Tuthill/K7ZO_

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               Joe Rudi  NK7U
               3365 Grandview Dr.
               Baker City, OR 97814

Maybe a longer story later. Some notables that come to mind.

Highlights
* All the radios, amps, antennas, rotors, networks, PacketCluster,
PC's, etc. worked almost perfectly. I can't remember that ever
happening before. OK, there seems to be an increasing noise
problem, esp. on 20M toward the east, but generally it was a low
stress (fun) contest in this area.
* Lots of participation, many stations on the air when we could
hear them.

Lowlights
* Geez -- we didn't think propagation could get any worse. We
almost ordered a keg of beer on Friday night after 20M slammed
shut to JA and points W at 0045 UTC. This is easily 60-90 minutes
worse than we have ever seen it before and worse even than during
the dismal ARRL SSB conditions. This was followed up by less than
40 Europeans on 20M Saturday, even with NK7U's 5/5/5/5 stack! At
least we could do Sweepstakes and NAQP practice by running US
stations. Things picked up well on Saturday night to JA and Sunday
morning to Europe. Though no JA's on 15M and no EU's on 40 or 80M
during the whole contest. Things were better last fall even when
the spots and flux were lower. WB0O may think the black hole is
centered over North Dakota but is sure seems to have a lobe over
eastern Oregon as well.

Now it is time to get back into station construction mode at NK7U.
This summer's goals: rebuild the 3 el 80M beam, put up a 160M
rotating dipole, and about 10 each 10M and 15M beams. We'll be
busy.

Speaking for the NK7U contesting gang.

K7ZO