[3830] K4HQ/QRP SSB WPX SCORE

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K4HQ/QRP SSB WPX SCORE
From: K4HQ@aol.com (K4HQ@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 16:17:03 -0500 (EST)
          CQ WORLD WIDE WPX CONTEST  1997

      Call: K4HQ-16 Years Old                     Country:  United States
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator QRP

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES  ANTENNA

      160       11       22   2.0        0    Carolina Windom@100 feet off
tower
       80       20       54   2.7        4     Carolina Windom@100 feet off
tower
       40       34      108   3.2        6     Carolina Windom@100 feet off
tower
       20      199      381   1.9      138   3 element yagi on self
supporting
       15      118      254   2.2       24    3 element yagi
       10       27       42   1.6        1      3 element yagi
     --------------------------------------

     Totals    409      861   2.1      173  =   148,953

Equipment Description:

Club Affiliation: NONE

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               ANDREW LEWIS  K4HQ
               7612 JUSTIN PLACE
               CHAPEL HILL, NC 27514

Well, here I am typing this AGAIN! Aol lost it the first time I typed it!
Well, I had many problems in this conest! I found out, that I could operate
from the School station I started 3 years Ago! I also found out, that my rig
WOULDN'T receive after I transmitted! I was going to do a 100 watt operation
until my rig broke down! Instead I was left with having to operate with the
Ten-Tec Argonaut QRP ONLY rig that our school had! So, in between being at
the school, and operating, I had to carry the rig home so I could operate a
few hours, 'cause the teacher didn't want to stay at the school all night!

At home, I could hardly be heard, where I only have Loopskywires in the
attic! It was a different story and scenario at the school, however, where I
could be heard, the world over! It was a fascinating experience!

Problem Time:
I found out, shortly before the contest, that the Carolina Windom had blown
down in a wind storm, only days before! I was determined not to let this ruin
my efforts! So, I, went over to the school early enough, so that I could put
up the Windom, by myself! After that was all said and done, another problem
came to light! A 14 year old gangsta, named ISIAH, saw me putting up the
antenna, so when I went inside to turn the BIG switch, he cut it down! The
way I figured this out was, I turned on 40 meters, only 30 min before the
begin of the contest, and I couldn't hear A THING! Oh NO! So I went outside
and found him, laughing! So I had to chase him down, and I made him help us
put it back up! So, I wasn't on the air until 45 minutes after the contest
had started!

Big Surprises:
I was on 20 meters Sat. afternoon when IQ4A answered my call and said I was
the LOUDEST ON THE BAND , in the hole contest! I was 20 over! So, he said,
"You must be pushing 1000, right??? I surprised him, and said only "5 watts!"
He laughed, so I turned it down to 1 watt! And I was still 59! He exclaimed,
"I must have a VERY large antenna." Actually no, we don't! But it sure got
the job done!

Upsets:
Between operating and walking the dog, I watched my Favorite pastime: College
Basketball's Final Four! Unfortuanately fo me, my favorite team, and the team
I had picked to win it all, lost (The North Carolina Tar Heels!), A TEAM I
HOPE TO PLAY FOR WHEN I GO TO COLLEGE! So, that was a bummer! Congrats to all
the Arizona fans, for a heck of a game!

Upcoming plans:
Well, I won't be in IARU this summer as I am planning my own little
DXpedition. The family is already talkin' about Next Spring Break! They are
talkin of going to places like Trinidad, so who knows, I may be a 9Y4, come
next spring! As for the immediate future, I am going on an extensive and
intricate DXpedition Friday, to NA067. SO, turn on you're radio's and listen
for Portsmouth Island! We also have log checking, too! I am going to be the
QSL mananger, so send me those cards!

73 and Aloha!
K4HQ Age:16