[3830] W4ZW FD 1A TARC Score, Venice, FL

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W4ZW FD 1A TARC Score, Venice, FL
From: rsr@gate.net (Jon)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 12:32:48 -0400
ARRL FIELD DAY -- 1997

      Call: W4ZW               Section: SFL
      Category: 1A             6 participants

BAND   CW QSO  CW QSO PTS   SSB QSO  SSB QSO

80       82     328             0       0
40      387    1548             5      10
20      436    1744             0       0
15      165     660             0       0
10       11      44             0       0
6         0       0             0       0
2         0       0            11      22
       1081           +        16     =    1097 Total QSO

(4324 CW QSO PTS + 32 SSB QSO PTS) X 2 POWER MULTIPLIER
+ 500 BONUS = 4,856

Equipment Description:

ICOM 756 (Replaced failed Yaesu FT-1000)  for HF
ICOM 706 for VHF
Cushcraft A4S tribander at 30'
Full wave loop for 80
Bi-square for 40
3 element yagi at 10' for 6 meters
Ringo Ranger for 144Mhx

Thanks to those of you who took time to report on our deteriorating signal
quality.  We thought it was due to the generator loading, but it turned out
that the Yaesu FT-1000D went south on us.  We switched to the ICOM 756
which was our 6 meter rig, and it worked great!  Even without CW filters!

Our goal this year was to break 1,000 Q's on CW which we accomplished.  It
was great to see the trunout of all our retirees this year to help us put
together FD.   Our tribander and mast toppled over while pulling the loop
up and the resulting elements were bent toward heaven, either praying for
good luck, or thrown up in despair, depending on your viewpoint.  The SWR
changed of course from the normally flat 1:1 to over 3:1, but it worked OK.
 Wait 'til next year!