[3830] KK1L NAQP CW SO (long comments)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KK1L NAQP CW SO (long comments)
From: rrossi@btv.ibm.com (Ronald D Rossi)
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 11:58:44 -0400

                              NA QSO SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 02-Aug-97, 03-Aug-97

    Callsign Used : KK1L
         Operator : KK1L

         Category : SO

 Default Exchange : RON VT

             Name : Ronald D. Rossi
          Address : RR1 Box 1543
   City/State/Zip : Swanton, VT  05488-9713
          Country : United States

   80CW       37          36         36      23
   40CW       55          55         55      30
   20CW       67          67         67      29
   15CW       44          44         44      21
   10CW       51          51         51      19

 Totals      254         253        253     122

    Final Score = 30866 points.

Equipment: Ten-Tec Omni-D (w/ ext VFO thank goodness)
           A3S at 40'
           Butternut HF6V vertical
           80m dipole at 30'

Okay all those that could tell I was exclusively using a straight key raise
your hand.  Let's see 1, 2, ...248. Well maybe I miscounted. I think it's time
to learn to use paddles. Now I wish I didn't sell my Ten Tec keyer. My hand
got so tired and I just couldn't send any faster than I was. Trying to send
faster yielded something I did not intend to send and introduced the listener
to the KK1L patented sorry-I-goofed-please-ignore series of dits then variably
spaced/length dahs as I slapped the key in disgust. Hey just trying to send as
usual got some junk out on occasion, but I can think of only one time I had to
repeat my name because I ended up sending RGN.

I did practice with RUFZ and SuperMorse (Sado-Masochism?) before the contest.
My thoughts behind keying the whole contest was to help build my code
recognition speed. It did work, but I ran into the send speed limit. The last
NAQP (the last time I used CW) was done all by TR. I did not progress by
letting the computer do the sending. My only regret about my choice is
subjecting you folks to my fist!! You see my first exposure to CW (other than
SOS) was at 31 years old. There are few times I wish I was KC6CNVs age...this
is one. Wait until I try the paddles in my first contest!!! BTW guess who I
worked first and last...KC6CNV...weird.

My only attempt at a move was successful, but not because of me. I answered
N5FGs CQ on 40m and added QSY? at the end of my exchange (it was 01:40 and we
had worked on 10 and 15 already...where else to go but 20m). He responded with
a question and I tried to key QSY 20 and sent something like YSZGI. Thankfully
he figured out what the hell I meant to say and suggested 055. We met...THANKS
Ray!

I of course was asked to QSY a number of times too. Without fail I had just
moved to the band I was on and had a fair S&P rate there having come from the
band I was being asked to move to. My response was mostly "LTR" and I did show
up in the band a bit later. A couple of times I answered "NNN", but that
sounded rude, I hope no one thought so! I think I worked most of the requesters
eventually.

I really did try 160m, but I had dismantled the 160m vertical kloodge I rigged
up over the winter. Nobody came back to my signal off the 80m dipole on
160m...bummer! With some work the kloodge will be back up, but not in time for
phone.

I 5-banded N0NI, and 4-banded N4ZZ, K4LTA, N4BP, WA3SES, WK2G.

CU on the 16th!!

--
73 de KK1L ex N1PBT...ron (rrossi@btv.ibm.com) <><
Ron Rossi H/P SRAM Engineering -- IBM Microelectronics