[3830] KK1L SSB Sprint comments/score

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KK1L SSB Sprint comments/score
From: rrossi@btv.ibm.com (Ronald D Rossi)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 10:36:35 -0400
                              SPRINT SUMMARY SHEET
     Contest Date : 14-Sep-97
    Callsign Used : KK1L
         Operator : KK1L
         Category : SOHP
 Default Exchange : # RON VT KK1L
             Name : Ronald D. Rossi
          Address : RR1 Box 1543
   City/State/Zip : Swanton, VT  05488-9713
          Country : United States

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults      Ten-Tec Omni-D
 __________________________________________________   Collins 30L-1 (800W)

   80SSB      70          70         70       5    =>  80m dipole at 40'
   40SSB      71          71         71       8    =>  Butternut HF6V
   20SSB      82          81         81      31    =>  A3S at 43'

 Totals      223         222        222      44

    Final Score = 9768 points.

This was my first try at the Sprint with more than the vertical for 20m. I
gave HP a try as well having put together a high power tuner for my dipole.
Well except for about a 10min period on 75m I felt loud. That is a pretty new
feeling for me and I LIKE IT!! The 75m regulars were their usual selves, but
obviously confused. Callers coming and going...did they chase them off or
not!?! It's only ever mildly annoying in the sprint, but always a humorous
side show!

I wish W6AB had decided to work me "again". I know of at least two occasions
where stations near to the freq I was working somebody on thought I was
working them. I gave the exchange per textbook each time. My slips were an
occasional misorder of my call in the sequence. I actually got into 'the flow'
this time. It takes time for the exchange to feel natural. (Sticking it on the
dash of my car for the days prior to the contest didn't hurt!) I worked KZ5D
as a know dupe early in the contest and heard him give the same serial number
to another just up the band. I guess he figured out he was a dupe too. I took
to saying for example 'KZ5D worked before okay? KK1L'. It seemed to allow for
confirmation of the fact and keep productive rate going. I hope you don't
think I am picking on you Art!!

  HOUR   80SSB   40SSB   20SSB   TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
    0       0       0      63      63      63
    1       0      43      18      61     124
    2       6      28       0      34     158  <--- what happened here!!!!
    3      64       0       0      64     222

  TOTAL    70      71      81

I had a good thing going until the third hour. My Dentron power meter was
telling me I had as much as 60W reflected on 40m. Measurements after the
contest with the Autek showed 1.4:1 SWR. I am still confused by this one. With
a clearer head and some time I will figure it out.

I left 20m for the last time at 01:30 and replaced the feed with the 80m
dipole (I only have a two way switch). When 40m started to feel stale, I would
switch to 75m and scan the band. Only hearing the ragchew set I went back to
40m. I hate to admit it, but I didn't want to be the first to stir up the pig
sty. It cost me some rate and I hang my head in shame.

I was having trouble with a sticky relay on 40m and 80m. After calling the rig
would return very attenuated. I would have to tap the PTT a few times to get
it back. Some stations I could hear regardless, others disappeared. I missed
getting some calls the first time while I PTT'ed the rig...sorry.

I had a GREAT time for the first time in a sprint. I have had good times in
the past, but this time was truely fun.

I hope Vermont didn't seem rare to anyone this time...It was for me =:(((
Anyone hear/work other VT stations???

--
73 de KK1L ex N1PBT...ron (rrossi@btv.ibm.com) <><
Ron Rossi H/P SRAM Engineering -- IBM Microelectronics