[3830] W6GO CQP SOHP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W6GO CQP SOHP
From: n6ig@netcom.com (Jim Pratt)
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 09:00:03 -0700 (PDT)
W6GO 1997 Cal QSO Party, operated by N6IG:

CW:   717 QSOs
SSB: 1637 QSOs
     =========

Total: 2354 x 58 ====> 314,650

Sacramento County

Close, but no ceegar.  Congrats to the carpetbagger, K6LL, operating from
"Sunny San Diego" as his CQ message claimed, for beating me from K6NA.
Near the end of the contest on 15 meter SSB, K9ZO called in with me and
said I was only about 15 behind Dave, and that "whoever takes the longest
bathroom break will probably decide the contest".  Well, actually I
needed to take some more offtime and that was the final nail in my
coffin.  At least I still hold the California record (for now)!

Excuses:

1) Southern California has better propagation (this is an oldie but a
goodie);

2) This was my first contest (and maybe last) using TRLog;

3) K6LL is a helluva operator.

I think (3) is perhaps the best excuse.  Also thanks to K6LA and N6TV for
the good competition.  It was pleasant to have about a 20 minute opening
on 10 meter SSB to 4-land, I actually made about 80 QSOs there with big
signals.  The second radio paid off in allowing me to spot that.

Also thanks to everyone for the QSOs, and thanks to W6GO and K6HHD for
their hospitality.  It was entertaining that their new kitten, "Dusty",
decided that it would be GREAT FUN to attack the footswitch often and
wrap herself around my leg as I tried to operate.  Sending her flying
across the room a couple of times didn't seem to deter that activity.  It
should be a fun contest season for sure!

73 Jim  N6IG