[3830] N6ED CQP SCORE + comments

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N6ED CQP SCORE + comments
From: gullick@emu.sp.trw.com (Craig Gullickson)
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 05:39:59 -0700
First of all thanks to all the guys and gals out there who called a
bunch of hungry Californians.  What a bunch!  I had by far the best CQP
ever this year as my first single op outing.

CALL USED: N6ED
LOCATION:  LAX SECTION
CATEGORY:  SO HP SSB ONLY (I will explain this below)

STATS:  BAND    SSB Q'S

        160     14
        80      135
        40      218
        20      913
        15      607
        10      39
        VHF     1
-----------------------
TOTALS          1927 X 58 = 223,532 PTS

First off, I got sweep @ 0235 the first day by WA7ITZ in UT.  (Too bad
no award for first CA to sweep, I may have been a contender!! :)

I was very happy to see good conditions on 15 and 20.  I worked 230 DX
stations and was suprised to hear mini EU piles on 15.  Probably the 2
best moments; being called by XT2DP and ZB2CF, both for all-time new
countries!  Just a step from Honor Roll now.  It was amazing to have
such rare Q's with XU2A, V51's, and HS0.  Kind of refreshing.

I knew I had my work cut out for me after visiting Ken, K6LA and well
known Larry K6RO whom I have operated from and helped erect his new
tower and 2 tons of aluminum!  This LAX section is a real bear!  It begs
the question; WHY DID I MOVE HERE?????  Good question.  The competition
was great as I worked Ken and Larry for the first times in which I had
slight leads, of course not to last long with phone only.  This was my
real stumbling point since I tested the CW interface the night before
and it was DEAD!  To top things off, I was unable to use my TS850 with
the DVR and instead had to go with the TS940 without!  I must admit this
was totally Mental!  Thanks to all the guys who put up with the raspy op
at N6ED who was completely incoherent by 2200z!!

I made a few mistakes during the contest by not realizing the 10m band
opened early enough sunday.  Missed at least 80 Q's there and didn't get
on 40m early enough either. Hey, 15 and 20 were still hopping!  This
would have put me over 2000 for sure.  Oh well, lessons for next year.

Thanks to all out there who complemented, and my complements go to K6LA,
K6RO, W6GO, K6NA and all the rest for a hell of a run.  Most importantly
to K6RO for loaning me an 80/160 antenna on Wednesday before the test.

My goal was to get top 10 and the wine, (modified to top 10, wine, and
SSB trophy).  Hopefully something.

Needless to say the W9XT DVK board is being ordered tomorrow!

Next year is going to rock, hope to see even more ops turn out.

Will look for u all in SS!  (and if invited to a place, for CQWW)

73 de Craig, N6ED