[3830] N6MU PA QSO PARTY

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N6MU PA QSO PARTY
From: N6MU1@aol.com (N6MU1@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 02:08:06 -0400 (EDT)
Station: N6MU
Section: Orange
Class: Single Operator Mixed, Medium Power

CW Qs: 98 x 1.5 = 147
SSB Qs: 74 x 1 = 74
Counties: 47

Final Score: 11,187 [(221 x 47) + 800]

What a weekend! I was planning to operate from N6NB's mountaintop location
100 miles north of LA in SJV. Last weekend I operated from there in CQP and
it was a beautiful 80 degrees. I left home in Orange County at 4:30 Saturday
morning as it is a three hour drive. As dawn was breaking and I got my first
look at the mountain I knew I was in trouble as there was the biggest,
blackest cloud hanging right on top of it. At 4000 feet it began to snow. At
5000 feet I had to use 4-wheel drive and finally made it to the station at
7000 feet where there was a blizzard in progress! The wind was blowing a gale
and it was a mixture of snow and ice. The antennas were all coated with a
half-inch of ice. After surveying the situation for about 15 minutes,
discretion was the better part of valor and I left as I was really afraid of
getting snowed in if I stayed. Three hours later I was back home and joined
the contest two hours late with 100 watts and a lousy vertical in the
backyard. Given the results, imagine what I could have done with beams and
power from the mountaintop. Oh well...73

John, N6MU