[3830] K7FR CQWW SSB MM

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K7FR CQWW SSB MM
From: k7fr@televar.com (Gary Nieborsky)
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 10:49:27 -0800
                    CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1997

      Call: K7FR                     Country:  United States
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Multi Multi

      160       15       17     1.13      5       4
       80       51      105     2.06     13      25
       40       57      144     2.53     16      34
       20      456     1103     2.42     29      93
       15      305      835     2.74     24      61
       10      130      301     2.32     16      32

Totals   1014     2505     2.47    103     249  =>  881,760

Operators:  K7FR, K2WR, WB7UPU

Soapbox:

The best laid plans went awry early on.  Started off with a reasonable
number of ops to man the rigs but a series of phone calls friday afternoon
knocked that number down to just  Rich, K2WR, and myself.  My YL Kathy,
WB7UPU, volunteered to operate for awhile at the start (how's that for
support; cook, mind the kids, and operate!!).

We got going on 10M (I helped Kathy with op-ing since she had never woked
HF) and worked the usual LU's and assorted SA's.  Kathy left to take kids to
various activities leaving me as the sole op in this MM effort.  15M was
productive as was 20.  Went to 40 and found that most......almost all...were
working simplex below 7.1.  Went to 80 and found the pickings real slim,
moved to 160....ditto.....moved to bed at 0600 out of lack out propagation
and lack of sleep.  Things were not looking very promising.......

Hit 160 at 1300 and picked off a few pacific mults....moved up to 80 for the
same.....40.....finally got up to 20 around 1430.  Conditions were
so-so...SA, some weak EU....ditto for 15 and 10.  Basically it was like
having a root canal without Novacaine.  Considered packing it in but
couldn't because Rich, K2WR, was scheduled to show up late saturday night.

Rich arrived about 0600 and started tuning around.  I think he was stunned
at the absolute lack of stations to work.  He kept at it until 0800 when
lack of sleep caught up to him and he stumbled off to commune with his
eyelids.  I plugged away at it until 1100.  40 and 80 opened up and I was
able to keep the sand man at bay.

Rich picked it up at 1400.  20 and 15 were struggles again.  It was really
frustrating to hear the zone 5's running EU on 15.  Fortunately we couldn't
hear EU or the pain might have been too much to bare.  20 opened up so-so
and throughout the day we snagged some nice mults.  15 was a big surprise
with some nice mults popping up in between the LU's and JA's;  6V, S9.

Sunday afternoon the band gods smiled and we were rewarded with runs on 20,
15, and 10.  The JA's are back!!!  We had runs of JA's on 20 and 15 that
pushed the last 10 rate-of-meter above 500!  We had a 3 minute stretch where
we worked 27 JA's.

We made the "hat trick" by making the goal of 1,000 q's,  100 z's, and 200
c's.  We should have made 1million points but lacked the EU 3 point bonanza
to get there on.

It was a real pleasure operating with Rich.  I think he came away with a
good prospective of the operating differences between the Left and Right
Coasts.  It was also a learning experience to watch a real contestor at work.

73 Gary K7FR

See you all in SS!!