[3830] K4RO CW SS SOHP Score

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K4RO CW SS SOHP Score
From: k4ro@music-city.tdec.state.tn.us (K4RO Kirk Pickering)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 14:13:21 -0600
 CW SWEEPSTAKES SUMMARY SHEET              Callsign Used : K4RO

 Contest Dates : 01-Nov-97, 02-Nov-97, 03-Nov-97
 Default Exchange : NR Serial # B K4RO 76 TN

 Category : Single Operator High Power
 Team/Club : Tennessee Contest Group

   80CW      308         303        606      14
   40CW      504         496        992      12
   20CW      172         169        338      44
   15CW       46          46         92       4
   10CW       17          17         34       5

 Totals     1047        1031       2062      79  (My 1st Sweep!)

    Final Score = 162,898 points.

 Station:  IC-761 , AL-811 (500W) , IC-751 barefoot , PRO-57A @ 99'
           80m: 1/4 wave sloper @ 70' , 40m: dipole @ 99' & 1/4w GP.
           TR-Log 6.15.  W5ASP design RX audio mixer.

 Soapbox Comments
 ________________

Trial by fire.  I decided to try my hand at operating two radios
in this, my third Sweepstakes.  I figure if you can't beat 'em,
might as well join 'em.  Tired of not feeling competitive enough,
and wanted to give it a try.  I'd never even practiced before
using 2 xcvrs before the contest.  The closest thing I had done
in the past was to use a 75A-4 receiver to check for band openeings.

Thanks to advice and help from AA4NU, K4JNY and others, I made the
two-rig lash-up the night before.  Used the W5ASP Radio Shack parts
mixer for RX audio, and set up TR-Log to key the 2nd rig.  It's not
very complicated.  I used no stubs or filtering of any kind (this
was a quick lash-up), but did put 0.063A fuses in the RX antenna line
of each radio.  The fuses blew a few times too; REAL glad I used 'em.

Trying to learn how to use two radios for the first time in the
middle of CW Sweepstakes probably hurt my score, but I think it
was a great training experience.  I think I'll feel handicapped
without two radios from here on out.  According to TR-Log, I made
70 QSO's on the second radio (an IC-751 barefoot.)  I probably used
it too much, and missed some run QSO's I might have otherwise made.
But it's not just the extra QSO's that the 2nd rig gives you, it's
the confidence of knowing you can go look for QSO's and multipliers
elsewhere without having to sacrifice a run frequency.  I did often
lose a run frequency while making a QSO on the second rig, likely
because I wasn't brave enough to try true "Two Radio Mode" which CQ's
on Rig One while you're copying the exchange on Rig Two.  I did try
"Dualing CQ Mode" at one point, which was pretty interesting. It
alternates CQ's between two rigs (bands) and lets you CQ effectively
on two bands at once, hands free.  Only recommended for slow times.

Bottom line on the two-rig deal is, I'm sold.  Now it's time again to
start re-designing the station, saving for a second rig, (the 751 was
borrowed) bandpass filters, more antennas, antenna switch & stack boxes,
etc. etc.  No one ever said it was gonna be easy or cheap.  There's no
doubt in my mind that effective two radio operation could definately
provide a major competitive edge.  At least as much as many of the other
station improvements I can make.

Finding VY1JA on 15 meters to complete my first ever Sweep made for
Major Happiness.  I hope you realize Jay how much joy you bring to us
SS fans!  All in all, a great contest, and I learned a lot.
Thanks for the QSOs, and I'll see you next year!

-Kirk  K4RO     Pegram, TN  (near Nashville)