[3830] K4AAA/7 SS SSB Remote Control

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K4AAA/7 SS SSB Remote Control
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 08:36:38 -0500 (EST)
Made 178 QSO's and 50sum mults.

Operated remote control over a long distance telephone link with a
station in Seattle. The station was a TS870, Alpha 87A, and verticals in
the beach next to the Pacific ocean.  Couldn't use the amp on 20M due to
RFI.

Was very interesting working it from the west coast.  Biggest problem was
keying the transmitter and logging on the same computer.  I would have to
ALT-TAB between applications each time I keyed up and down.   In spite of
that, I had the 10min rate up to 150 once on 75M.

This remote business is fun, but definately not the way to make a big
score.  Mostly I enjoyed giving friends a QSO.  It was funny to call
someone I knew and listen to them get REAL weak because they went to an
east antenna instead of a west antenna.  This happened a lot.  The other
fun thing was saying "western wash" to people who knew the callsign and
then getting to explain what I was doing.

Look for W4AN/remote-georgia soon.

73

Bill