[3830] K4RO CQWW CW 97 SOHP Score

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K4RO CQWW CW 97 SOHP Score
From: k4ro@music-city.tdec.state.tn.us (k4ro@music-city.tdec.state.tn.us)
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 03:40:35 -0600 (CST)
 CQ WW CW SUMMARY SHEET            Contest Dates : 29-Nov-97, 30-Nov-97

 Callsign Used : K4RO   Operator : K4RO     Category : Single Operator
                                                       HP Un-assisted
 Team : Tennessee Contest Gladiators # 1

 Club : Tennessee Contest Group

 Station:  IC-761 , AL-811 (500W)  TR-Log 6.17   20-10M: PRO-57A @ 100'
           40m: dipole @ 100' + 1/4 wave GP   80m: 1/4 wave sloper @ 70'
           160m: 1/4 wave tilted GP with 1 elevated radial

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries   Zones
  160CW       24          24         42        15         8
   80CW       67          67        164        43        12
   40CW      171         169        433        70        22
   20CW      262         258        695        75        28
   15CW      553         539       1556        78        27
   10CW      187         182        506        54        19

 Totals     1264        1239       3396       335       116

     Final Score = 1,531,596 points.

 My 3rd CQ WW CW.  It's now clear that this is THE contest.  What a blast!
 I Now have some idea what it's like to have some propagation on 10 & 15.
 Having started contesting in 1994, I've never had it like this.  I now
 actually enjoy DX contesting; mainly because I can truly run for a few
 hours on 15 and 10 when they are open.  My last few DX contests were a
 pure S&P grind for 2 days -- not much joy, as I'm sure many can attest.

 Nice Sunday morning opening on 10m to Europe, and 15 meters just kept
 delivering QSOs from Europe, South America and Japan as the sun's
 radiation traveled across the globe.

 I need to figure out how to spend more time in the chair for this
 contest.  Looks like I put in around 37 hours or so, a few more than
 last year.  Had to unplug everything a couple of times due to major
 thunderstorms, but at least they didn't begin until 1900Z Sunday.
 It's very difficult to make the decision to shut down the station
 after putting in 30+ hours of operation.  As soon as the lightning
 would subside, I'd fire the station back up.

 Once again, this contest revealed that many station improvements are
 needed, as always.  I didn't get the 2nd yagi installed in time, but
 sure plan to for next year.  A few things broke down, and need to be
 reinforced for next time.  I made a total of ten (10) second radio
 QSOs.  Not worth the effort this time.  It still looks like the biggest
 contesting investment I can make at this time is in the operator training,
 despite other allures.

 DX heard and missed -- 40m: VR8A and FK8HC  ;  15m:  BV4FG

 Tons of great DX worked, as always in the CQWW CW.  I basically never
 want to miss this contest.  There's nothing like it.  Thanks for the
 QSOs, and see you next year.

 -Kirk  K4RO    in Pegram, Tennessee  (just west of Nashville)