[3830] W6XR....10 Meter

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W6XR....10 Meter
From: force12e@lightlink.com (Natan Huffman)
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 20:04:28 -0500
W6XR/2.....Mixed Mode High Power, Multi op.

                              ARRL 10 SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 13-Dec-97, 14-Dec-97

    Callsign Used : W6XR
        Operators : KB2MTI W6XR and others

         Category : MS

 Default Exchange : 59 ny

             Name : Natan Huffman
          Address : 27 Hungerford Road
   City/State/Zip : Ithaca/NY/14850
          Country : United States

        Team/Club : Frankford Radio Club

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults   Countries

   10CW      287         287       1148      45        10
   10SSB     659         659       1318      53        25

 Totals      946         946       2466      98        35

    Final Score = 327978 points.

 I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations
established
 for amateur radio in my country.  My report is correct and true to the
best
 of my knowledge.  I agree to be bound by the decisions of the Awards
Committee.

 Date ______________   Signed _____________________________  Call
___________

Commentary:

I wanted to use this contest to expose some of the locals (Shack on Belt
SOB) to contesting and my attempt was successful.  Convinced some to come
over for the contest and they were most impressed that there is more to ham
radio than 2 meters.  Had one tech plus working DX in the Pacific and to
say that he was excited is certainly an understatement.

Really had the whole bag as far as propagation went.  Contest started with
excellent sporadic E to the Midwest and had the first three hours of
greater than 100+ per hour.  Had the guys watch this part of the contest to
see how the computer worked and to see that you must call CQ to attract
attention.  Seems that the local idea of contesting is to continually tune
the band and call stations......oh well.

Went to bed Friday night with many more Qs in the log than I expected.
Sat. morning was OK, but few Europeans were worked.  Actually only worked
two Eu. on Sat and then only about 20 more on Sunday.  Did not get the
great E skip opening after dark on Sat. and coupled with a very bad case of
snow static, the rate really slowed.

Sunday was a real problem with very weak signals and very loud snow static
all day long.  Really had to fight for everything we worked, but all had
fun.  Did finally work some Europeans on both phone and cw, but no volume
at all.  Did get a good E opening at the end of the contest and thought I
was in the Worked All Florida contest for the last two hours.

The experiment was a success and we all had fun.  No records, but perhaps a
few SOBs will know a little more about contesting than before.

Natan W6XR..

On 10 meters.....W6XR is :

4 el monobander at 87'

2 stacked C3 yagi type antennas.

Radios are FT1000MP and FT920 followed by Alphas.

Located in the Southern Tier of New York State.