[3830] K8ND Multi-op Stew Perry TBDC

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K8ND Multi-op Stew Perry TBDC
From: jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us (Jeffrey Maass)
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 16:04:06 -0500 (EST)
                  1997 W1BB 160M DISTANCE CHALLENGE

  Call used: K8ND                          Location: EN80 (Ohio)
  Category: Multi Operator                 Power: 1500

  Callsigns of Operators: K8ND, K1LT

  Exchanged Information: K8ND EN80

  band      QSOs     points   Hours of Operation
  160        329       1823         13:58

  Started Operation: 2239Z
  Offtime:           0828Z - 0909Z
  Ended Operation:   1319Z

  Comments:

     Here are my 'grades' for the 1997 Stew Perry, as seen from
     'Moose Acres' here in central Ohio:

     Format:               A+
     Conditions:           A
     W/VE Participation:   C
     DX Participation:     B+
     Scheduled Weekend:    D-

     While I will participate in any 160 Meter contest anytime, I'm
     unlikely to perform very well after three solid days of family
     holiday responsibilities. I fought to keep my eyelids on top of
     my eyes rather than over them, despite the conditions. I'm sure
     that many were unable to participate at all due to the
     juxtaposition with the holidays.

     My recommendation is that this nearly-perfectly-formatted 24-hour
     160-meter contest replace the CQ 160 Meter Contest in late January.
     Immediately.

     Biggest surprise was J8/DF2SS answering our CQ. Working H44IO
     provided a new country (now 97 since September). Only four JAs
     worked: only five HEARD!

     Our "points per QSO" average, at 5.56 pts/QSO, seems awfully
     low compared to scores I've been seeing posted. Part of this is
     our location in Ohio within 1000km of 160 meter 'population
     centers', giving lots of 1 and 2 point QSOs.

  I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations for
  amateur radio  in my country.  My report  is correct and true to the
  best of my knowledge.  I agree  to be bound by  the decisions of the
  contest committee.

  Name: Jeff Maass                      Call: K8ND
        9256 Concord Road
        Powell, OH  43065dd

Jeff Maass       (jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us)      Amateur Radio K8ND
      USPSA/IPSC # L-1192   NROI/CRO          NW of Columbus Ohio
      25000 Members in 2000!