[3830] KK7GW Phone Sprint SOLP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KK7GW Phone Sprint SOLP
From: kk7gw@hotmail.com (David Jones)
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 20:06:22 PST
KK7GW Single Op/Low Power

Band      Raw Q's    Valid Q's   Mults

 20         16          16         5
 40         59          57        20
 80          1           1         1

Total       76          74        26-->1,924

Hours of operation: 3.4

Equipment: Kenwood TS-530, dipole @20-25 feet.

Comments: Interesting contest.  My first sprint where I really went
after Q's.  40 stayed fairly long the whole time and I can't get
anything on 75.  The pig farmers were out in force on 75, I heard
numerous references to "those damn contesters".  I need a better antenna
for 80, the only person who could hear me was Rich, N7TR.
There's no meters like 40 meters though. What a band.  Despite having a
S5 noise level from 7.210 to 7.270, I still had a ball on 40.  Many 6's
were practically breaking my needle at 40 over, I thought my receiver
was going to overload once.  The Heil performed great, and a boom mike
is a LOT better than a hand mike.  We should rename this one the
"Southwest Sprint".  Let's see, with 40 minutes left, N7TR, AD6DO, K6LL
and a whole bunch more in that area are already over 200 Q's.  Great
job.  I don't have a competitive score, but I sure learned to deal with
QRM.  From 0100z to about 0145z the whole area from 7.220 to 7.240 was
packed.  Picking out info when there's someone 20 over half a kHz up is
really tough.  Fun contest.

See you all in ARRL DX, out of town for the CW sprint.  Thanks for the
Q's.

73

David Jones, KK7GW
kk7gw@hotmail.com