[3830] N4VI-Jan NAQP Summary w/comments

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N4VI-Jan NAQP Summary w/comments
From: n4vi@diac.com (Chris Adams)
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 17:26:22 -0700
NA QSO SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 09-Jan-98, 10-Jan-98

    Callsign Used : N4VI
         Operator : N4VI

         Category : SO

 Default Exchange : Chris CO

             Name : Chris Adams
          Address : 8494 Stoneridge Terrace
   City/State/Zip : Boulder, CO 80302-9355
          Country : United States

Antennas:

All wires

80M:    80M Inverted Vee
40M:    40M w8jk
20M:    80M Inverted Vee
15M:    40M w8jk
10M:    80M dipole and 40M w8jk

Rig:  TS-870S
Logging by TR (thanks Tree!)

   80CW      101         101        101      41
   40CW      163         161        161      42
   20CW      105         104        104      36
   15CW      108         107        107      30
   10CW       33          33         33      15

 Totals      510         508        506     164

    Final Score = 82984 points.

Soapbox:

Wow, best score ever by far and plenty of room for improvement both in
the operations (and operator side) and antenna side (that goes w/o
saying).

Was able to S&P at 50-60q's per hour almost effortlessly.  Had a great
run (for me!) on 40m with the TR rate meter hitting above 80 a few
times.  Also got the feeling not a lot of CO stations on early as I "was
moved up" to 10m and 15m twice from 40m and moved down to 80m once as
well.

Tried to get a run going on 80m, which was nice and quiet here but not
particularly successful.  160m sounded great but no antenna to transmit
with (I tried with 80m dipole for 5 minutes and gave up!).

Improvements:

Plenty on the op side.  Although I've used TR for a few years, never
hooked it up to send code before (can you spell lazy!??).  Got it hooked
up and more then once I was S&Ping and it insisted I was running.  This
has the unfortunate side effect of sending the call of the station
you're trying to work b4 the ESCAPE key will abort transmitting.  Also,
need to work on sending fill messages and sending from keyboard.

Improve my code speed!

Antennas:

Aside from putting up a tower with real antennas....   the easiest way
to improve for this contest seems to be:

1.  Put up a 160m antenna (maybe before 160m NAQP SSB next week?)

2.  A native 20m antenna even if only a dipole.

3.  I've had some visions of fixed wire beams, in fact I was going to
put a 20m up but it took me 2 years to wire up a db-25 to send cw so I'm
not holding my breath!

There are other more grandiose idea, but this is boring enough already.

All I can say is "I had a blast".  Traditionally my phone score is
always better then my CW score.  It will be interesting to see if I can
outdo my CW effort.  See everyone next weekend!

chris, n4vi