[3830] K4RO CW NAQP Jan 98 Score

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K4RO CW NAQP Jan 98 Score
From: k4ro@music-city.tdec.state.tn.us (k4ro@music-city.tdec.state.tn.us)
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 22:52:27 -0600 (CST)
NA QSO SUMMARY SHEET           Contest Dates : 10-Jan-98, 11-Jan-98

Callsign Used : K4RO           Operator : K4RO     Category : Single Op

Default Exchange : KIRK TN     Team/Club : Tennessee Contest Group Team 1

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults     IC-761 / IC-765
 __________________________________________________  TR-Log 6.x

  160CW      115         113        113      33      Sloping 1/4 wl vertical
   80CW      210         206        206      49      1/4 wave "half sloper"
   40CW      176         174        174      46      40m Gladiator vertical
   20CW      130         130        130      42      PRO-57A @ 100'
   15CW       62          62         62      25       "
   10CW        9           9          9       4       "

 Totals      702         694        694     199

    Final Score = 138,106 points.

 Soapbox Comments
 ________________

Someday I'm going to operate a contest without spending the last few
minutes before the starting bell assembling the station.  A problem
at work prevented a Friday night burn-through, so Saturday 1730Z I was
still trying to lash up another SO2R setup.  Problems early on forced
an unscheduled off time, and cost me on the high bands.  The fun factor
wasn't really there for me this year, although there were some decent
hours (best was 80.)  I have enough trouble copying CW on one radio;
the second rig was delivering Q's and mults, bult also delivered one
heck of a headache!  I never quite recovered from the lousy start, but
kept on plugging away, mainly for the Tennessee Contest Group team.

This was the first time I've ever had my score decrease from a previous
effort.  I guess it was bound to happen eventually.  TR reports a total
of 37 second radio QSOs, but it seemed like more.  The SO2R attempts
are probably hurting my score, but it's a fun technical and operating
challenge which I will continue to pursue.  Despite the lower fun factor
this time, the NAQP is still a great contest.  I just need to be better
prepared next time.  So look out in August! :-)

-Kirk  K4RO