[3830] WE9V NAQP PH Score/Comment (Long)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WE9V NAQP PH Score/Comment (Long)
From: Chad_Kurszewski@csg.mot.com (Chad Kurszewski WE9V)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 10:31:48 -0600
    Callsign Used : WE9V
     Station Used : W9JA (ex-KS9K)

         Category : S/O 100W
 Default Exchange : Chad WI
            Hours : 10
        Team/Club : SMC #4

  160SSB     152         152        152      44  Tilted Vee, 3 Beverages
   80SSB     222         222        222      49  Inv-Vee @ 165' (3L Garbage)
   40SSB     142         142        142      40  3/3 @ 82/164', 2L CC @105'
   20SSB     241         240        240      45  5/5/5
   15SSB     140         140        140      26  6/6/5/6
   10SSB      14          14         14       6  5/5/5

 Totals      911         910        910     210

 Final Score = 191,100 points

Well, if you read the NK7U writeup, you'd have read that the W9JA
M^2 3 element 80M monster is dead.  Last weeks heavy snow and wind
pulled the entire antenna off the tower in one piece.  The boom to
mast plate (actually a boom to TOWER plate) broke at two of the bolt
locations (to the tower) and the other two bolts holding the large
yagi couldn't do it by themselves.  The yagi must have ridden the
guy wire (phillystran) down a ways, as the yagi is about 100' away
from the base of the tower.  What a mess.  Can't even tell how much
of a mess it is...it's buried under snow and only a few pieces are
visible.

Anyway, we put up an inverted vee at 165' to get back on the band.
Sure isn't the same.

And for those of you who read Chris's comment:
   >Interesting to hear nothing but laughter coming from WE9V when I worked
   >him on 160.  Ask him about it....he said he won't forget me.
The new beverages have great F/B.  After a CQ, I hear a VE3 answer.  I
didn't get the whole call so I turned to the NE beverage and said,
"Who was the VE3?"  A (now) loud answer was, " F U !"  All I could do
was laugh and say, "Excuse me?"  Of course, that was VE3FU.

And for those of you who read my CW writeup, about me being excited
about operating from my own home for once, there's been a development.
I had explained that I had just bought 100' of Rohn 45 but due to an
agreement with my girlfriend, I cannot put the tower up until we are
engaged.  Well, last week I purchased the ring.  Picking it up tonite.
Don't exactly know how (I'll pay for it)(just kidding, how to propose)
or when, but it'll be before the weather is warm enough for tower work!

Other statistics:

182 band changes

  HOUR  160SSB   80SSB   40SSB   20SSB   15SSB   10SSB   TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
   18                              37      35       9      81      81
   19                              48      28       2      78     159
   20                              64      22              86     245
   21                              46      22              68     313
   22                       6      13      33       3      55     368
   23                                                       0     368
  ----  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
    0                      91       4                      95     463
    1              26      35      28                      89     552
    2       8      85       9                             102     654
    3     105       1                                     106     760
    4      32      61       1                              94     854
    5       7      49                                      56     910

  TOTAL   152     222     142     240     140      14

Times worked:
  1.           Ca  136
  2.           Tx   77
  3.           Il   38
  4.           Nc   34
  5.           Ny   33
  6.           Va   31
  7.           Wa   31
  8.           Ma   27
  9.           Nj   26
 10.           Pa   24

You know the bands are long when my best hour was on 160(!) and CA was
the most worked!

---
Chad Kurszewski, WE9V         e-mail:  Chad_Kurszewski@csg.mot.com
The Official "Sultans of Shwing" Web Site:  http://www.QTH.com/sos