[3830] K4WA CQWW 160 CW SOHP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K4WA CQWW 160 CW SOHP
From: k4wa@mindspring.com (Steve)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 00:12:11 -0500
The beginning of the contest found me in the woods repairing my broken
beverage. Had to make additional repairs to it on Saturday.  Spent much of
the time I planned for beverage repair trying to figure out what was wrong
with my inverted L.  The beverage played well to the northeast; despite my
threats, I still haven't put any listening antennas up for the other
directions.  I won't do another 160 contest without 'em.  After listening
with the beverage early in the contest, it was painful to have to listen for
western stations with the transmit antenna.  There were times I just had to
take the headphones off, 'cause the QRN and QRM was ruining my night.  I even
developed some weird little "transients", which sounded like bitten-off
pieces of code letters.  I hope that was someone else's transmitter
malfunction and not the receiver section of my 1000MP.  Sometimes made it
very difficult to tell if a weak station came back to my CQ.

Used the MP with an AL-811H (600 watts), the inverted L and a 500' (or so)
beverage to the northeast.

QSO     US/VE   DX      Score

591     54      25      123,161

Club Affiliation:  SEDXC