[3830] W6UE - CQ 160 CW - M/S Results

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W6UE - CQ 160 CW - M/S Results
From: W4EF@pacbell.net (Michael Tope)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 06:49:44 -0000
                              CQWW 160 SUMMARY SHEET - W6UE

    Contest Dates : 24-Jan-98, 25-Jan-98

    Callsign Used : W6UE
        Operators : W1EEL, N6LL, N9YS, W4EF

         Category : Multi-Single

 Default Exchange : 5NN CA

             Name : California Institute of Technology ARC
                    c/o Michael C. Tope, W4EF
 Station Location : Mount Wilson, Ca

  Mailing Address : 3944 East Mountain View Avenue
   City/State/Zip : Pasadena, Ca 91107-4905

Station Description:

               Rig: FT-1000MP
         Amplifier: Alpha 78 (~1200 Watts Output)
               CPU: Pentium 133 running TRlog 5.80 - No Packet Station
       Tx Antennas: 3 - 1/4 Slopers off 270' Tower
                    (Station location approximately 5000' ASL overlooking
                     Los Angeles)
       Rx Antennas: Tx Antenna plus various Beverages

          Country : United States

 Club Affiliation : Southern California Contest Club

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults   Countries

  160CW      567         555       1672      53        23

 Totals      567         555       1672      53        23

    Final Score = 127072 points.

Soapbox Comments:

Thanks to Paul, N6LL for liberating the crew from the confines of our postage
stamp size city lots and the noise of the city for the weekend. Not to mention
the
view of Los Angeles from atop Mount Wilson which alone was worth the drive up
from
the city.

The first night seemed to produce mediocre conditions with our CT3FN qso
the closest we came to even hearing Europe. The so-so conditions did give
everybody a
chance to learn the intracacies of Paul's FT1000MP and my copy of TRlog (Rob,
W1EEL got
a big kick when he asked me how to log a contact in TR without sending any CW
and I informed
him that the call call he was trying to enter belonged to the designer of the
program -
K7RAT).

Conditions the second night seemed to improve yielding two European QSOs
(GM3YDX and CT1BOH)
plus several heard but not worked (GM8R, F6EZV, G3PQA, and EA3KU). Kinda missed
having
Packet and as a result I probably spent too much time S&Ping mults. Asian
opening on second
morning was phenomenal, I was lucky enough to awake from a badly needed nap
(10:00 - 11:30Z)
in time to get a good run of JA's going. Went from never having worked a JA on
actually running them - real treat for a former east coaster. Took another
short nap from 14
to 15Z then got back up for one last dose. Biggest thrill of the contest came
at sunrise when
FR5DX answered my CQ (thank God for that SW beverage!). The naps on Sunday
probably cost some
points and maybe even a few mults, but were badly needed (caffeine is only so
effective on me).
Next time I will spend more time sleeping during the day on Saturday or I will
convince the
rest of the operating crew that spending time with their XYL's is less important
than the contest - HI HI.

This is to certify that in the contest the operators of W6UE have operated
our transmitter within the limitations of our license and have observed fully
the rules and
regulations of the contest.