[3830] VE3KZ CQ 160 CW 1998

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] VE3KZ CQ 160 CW 1998
From: rtnash@netcom.ca (rtnash@netcom.ca)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 11:11:22 -0500
Hi Again Folks

Greetings from the patented cloud warmer! A new beverage pointed at Europe
allowed me to hear many more stations that couldn't hear me! An inverted
vee at 70' seems to do a good job on this continent and not bad in every
other direction except Europe. Was called by CE8ABF and a couple of VKs and
KH6's so it isn't a dead loss. Last year, with the same antenna, worked
only half as many Q's but virtually the same Multiplier! I have a steep
drop-off in the terrain into Europe. This can be fantastic, but in this
case there is a pattern mismatch, the "Fractured Fresnel Zone" effect,
which alerted me to put up a 50' antenna on 20m to keep my signal
competitive in the day-time into Europe instead of just opening and closing
the band. Using K6STI's TA program, there appears to be a null in the
vertical pattern in the low angle area, 10-30 degrees, of 6-8 dB! In this
case this antenna has to go higher or be replaced with something less prone
to this effect.

Worked all states (including DC!) on one weekend for the first time. Too
bad about the northern Canadians but it ain't a walk in the park in that
part of the world at this time of the year! Missed VE5 (heard 5CPU S&P) but
didn't hear VY2 or the untouchables across the north. Worked about 50
Canadians from here.

Need better DX potential to move the score up next year. Back to the
drawing board.

    Callsign Used : VE3KZ         Category : SO HP UA

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults   Countries

  160CW      843         816       4024      56        19

 Totals      843         816       4024      56        19

    Final Claimed Score = 301,800 points.       24 hours of operation.

Equipment: TS-950SDX + AL-1200  1KW
                Inverted Vee at 70', short Bev to Europe, unterminated Bev E-W.

73 Bob

Robert and Marlene Nash
Eclectek Educational Development Inc.
Milton, Ontario, Canada.