[3830] VK1FF Score/Comments - ARRL DX CW

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] VK1FF Score/Comments - ARRL DX CW
From: VK1FF@contesting.com (Jim - VK1FF/WB2FFY)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 11:31:59
Callsign:       VK1FF
Operator:       Jim Muller  (Home Call: WB2FFY)
Section:        Single Operator, 40 Meters (unassisted)
Operating QTH:  Fadden, Australia Capital Territory, Australia

Number of Valid Contacts:        579
QSO Points Claimed:             1737
Multipliers:                      55
Hours of operation:             11.5  (approx 08-14z each day)
Total Claimed Score:          95,535

Station:
- Antenna:      Dipole @40'
- Txcvr:        Kenwood TS-520 (with 250hz filter)
- Power:        100 Watts
- Key:          Homebrew Accu Keyer with bencher paddles & computer
- Logging Pgm:  N6TR version 4.05

Comments:

- 40 meters seemed very good both days.  Signals were particularly loud
  around 0800z from the east coast....even some Europeans (LP) were
  REALLY strong around that time.

- thoroughly enjoyed the contest this year.   Improved my QSO total by
  28% and my total score by nearly 44% over previous efforts.

- worked nearly all the continental US states on the first day and
  got the remaining three states (NE, NV, LA) on the second day.

- Most of my contacts were with east coast states
   1.  CAL   63     10.    MD 18
   2.   NY   45     11.  CONN 18
   3. MASS   43     12.  MICH 18
   4. PENN   36     13.    VA 14
   5.  TEX   31     14.   FLA 14
   6.   NJ   29     15.  ARIZ 14
   7. WASH   26     16.    NH 13 (this is a surprise to me)
   8.  ILL   25     17.  WISC 12
   9. OHIO   22     18.   ORE 10
   less than 8 contacts were made with each of the remaining states

- I had two factors working against me from the very start of the contest.

  1.  I had an operation on my right hand for carpal tunnel syndrome
      5 days before the contest.  My hand is still in a cast and
      unuseable at the moment.   This affected two things.  First I
      normally send right handed - but the operation of course forced me to
      send (using my keyer paddles) left handed which I don't do very well.
      A couple QSOs with N6BV, W7OE, and N6ZZ were particularly dreadful
      as they made comments which could not be answered with the
      preprogrammed "function keys".   I reached for my paddles and attempted
      to answer.....the mind was willing but the fingers certainly
      were not.   The second "problem" is that I'm a touch typer
      and "normally" don't have to look at the keyboard when I'm typing.
      But without one hand that's all out the window.   So I struggled
      with "hunt and peck" throughout the contest.   I know I must
      have confused a few people because of the time it took me to enter
      and then acknowledge their report (seconds hang like hours in
      a situation like this) - sorry about that!

  2.  The other problem was a moderate case of the flu for which no amount
      of medicine seemed to help.

- my best rate was around 144 Q/hr for about 30 mins (not to bad for
  a left handed "hunt and peck").  Overall I averaged about 48 QSOs/hr
  for the entire contest which isn't too bad for 100W and a dipole.

- I'm returning to the US this year so this is last ARRL DX CW contest
  from Australia.   I've enjoyed the contest from over here and appreciate
  all the QSOs.

73, Jim VK1FF/WB2FFY

Internet Email:        VK1FF@contesting.com
                       WB2FFY@qsl.net