[3830] ARRL DX CW - W1VE M/M

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL DX CW - W1VE M/M
From: windev@inetmarket.com (Gerry Hull)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 09:39:32 -0500 (EST)
      Call: W1VE (@K1TTT)            Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                       Category: Multi/Multi

      BAND     QSO     COUNTRIES

      160        58     47
       80       210     63
       40       640     80
       20      1486    107
       15       622     95
       10        64     36
--------------------------------------
Totals         3030    428   3,950,000

Hours: 36+/- hours on the air

Operators W1VE, K1TTT, WA1ZAM, NT2X, WT2Q

Club Affiation: YCCC

Essentially a 2-man multi-multi.  K1TTT, WT2Q and WA1ZAM
helped with multipliers, even though CW is not their mode!

Arrived friday night 15 min. before contest w/no one there.  Low bands
were great Friday night; spent lots of time jumping around catching
multipliers on 160, 80 and 40.  NT2X arrived saturday morning, said
a quick hello and began running on 20m.  He did'nt get up from the
chair till late in the evening.  We expected W0AD, a recently-imported
midwesterner, to show up on Saturday, but important work commitments
took him back to the midwest. WT2Q + WA1ZAM stopped by to bring in
some mults on 10 -- will be great to work with them in the phone
contest. Saturday morning runs to Europe were excellent on 20 & 15,
pushing the CT rate meter past the 350 mark at times. On sunday, 20 was
still "honking", while 15 runs were spotty.  Switched between S&P and run
-- packet spots were great. 80 & 160 were a complete loss sunday night --
noise was 20/9 on the beverages, from the big storm down in the gulf. Ed
had to leave by 2pm sunday, so it was back to Dave and myself for the
duration.  Had a great run on 40 towards the end of the contest.

I brought along my FT1000MP for it's first big run in a CW contest;
the .0625Hz tuning rate makes a 250Hz filter feel very wide!  Even
in very crowded 40m conditions, the receiver sounds so clean, compared
to the TS870s & TS940s we were also using.  I love this radio!

Thanks to Ed for hanging in there with a very limited crew!

Always a pleasure to operate from K1TTT -- superbly engineered station,
sit down & plug & play, and an excellent host.

Thanks to everyone who worked us, and we'll see you in the phone 'test.

73,

-Gerry
Amateur Radio W1VE/VE1RM
ex AK4L, WA4UUX, VE1CER, VE1SPI, CY9SPI, CY0SAB, VP2M/VE1RM
VE9DH CQWW M/M Contest Page      http://www.inetmarket.com/ve9dh
W2SZ/1 MGEF VHF/UHF Contest Page http://www.mgef.org