[3830] ARRL DX CW K7ED Superstation SOABLPU

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL DX CW K7ED Superstation SOABLPU
From: jflemin@swedish.org (Jack Fleming)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 98 09:40:00 -0800
                              ARRL DX SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 21-Feb-98, 22-Feb-98

    Callsign Used : K7ED
         Operator : WA0RJY
         Category : Single Op Low Power UNassisted

             Name : Jack Fleming
          Address : 20148 6th Avenue NE
   City/State/Zip : Seattle, WA  98155
          Country : United States

        Team/Club : Western Washington DX Club

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries

  160CW        7           7         21         3
   80CW       41          41        123        10
   40CW       83          83        249        30
   20CW      482         478       1434        66
   15CW      343         337       1011        66
   10CW       49          49        147        29

 Totals     1005         995       2985       204

    Final Score = 608,940 points.

 Equipment
 _________

TS850 and TR-Log software
160 - Tuned 80 meter sloper to W
80 - Sloper to W and trap sloper to NW
40 - Trap sloper to NW
20 - 5 ele KLM yagi at 88' and Lightning Bolt 2 element Quad at 35'
15 - 6 ele KLM yagi at 96' and Lightning Bolt 2 element Quad at 35'
10 - 6 ele KLM yagi at 104' and Lightning Bolt 2 element Quad at 35'

 Soapbox Comments
 ________________

WOW!  Maybe I won't have to build those low band antennas!  Can't wait until
10 meters really comes alive!

Highlights included:

Having 3W, XU, and 7X call me on 15 meters!  A REAL 15 meter opening (a
solid hour on Saturday morning - very unusual in Washington) to Europe.
Turning the antenna to work 9X0A on 20 meters (from Japan to 9X seems to
take forever - spraying "K7ED!  K7ED!  K7ED!  K7ED!" across the arctic
wasteland as it turns).  Hearing a ZD7 work 3 East Coast stations who asked
for his power (he wasn't in the contest) and then after sending "agn" a
couple times when I sent my call - he apologized and went away.  Working
FO0/OK1KT during the VERY LAST MINUTE of contest on 10 meters.  K7ED (Thanks
to the Paladin Contest Club for letting me use their callsign in contests)
is fast to send, but tends to get lost in the pileup when the other station
comes back and sometimes I didn't realize he was talking to me - that never
was a problem with WA0RJY on cw...  Worked TWO South Shetland stations on
multiple bands.  Watching all stations disappear off the N6TR-Log bandmap
(meaning a full hour running on a single frequency - happened three
different times during the weekend!).  G4BUO moving me to 15 meters after I
worked him on the tuned (by mistake - not by plan) 80 meter sloper on 20
meters on Saturday morning!