[3830] K5NA SO/AB/HP Unassisted

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K5NA SO/AB/HP Unassisted
From: k5na@bga.com (Richard L. King)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 16:15:17
                 ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST -- 1998

      Call: K5NA                     Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS PTS/Q COUNTRIES

      160       34      102   3.0       26
       80       88      264   3.0       40
       40      438     1314   3.0       67
       20      387     1161   3.0       70
       15      573     1719   3.0       82
       10       62      186   3.0       31
     --------------------------------------

     Totals   1582     4746   3.0      316  =   1,499,736

  Time on: 38 hours

Equipment Description: IC765=>AL1500(10,15,20,160M), Henry2K(40M),
DTR2000L(80M)

Club Affiliation: Central Texas DX & Contest Club

                             Signature ____ Richard L. King _____

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               Richard L. King  K5NA
               17726 FM 973 North
               Manor, TX 78653

I am still using one radio, one tribander, and wires for the low bands.
Next year the new antenna system (more towers and monobanders) should start
taking shape and I hope to get back to using two radios.

I still don't have enough Texas operating experience to say whether
conditions were good or bad, but I think they were decent for this time of
the cycle.

I made some mistakes that took me away from the radio more than I wanted to
be away. I napped too long from 1000Z Saturday morning and missed most of
the sunrise peak. I got back on the air at 1215Z just in time to hear VK6VZ
fade into the noise on 160M.

Later on Saturday a front came through about 23:30Z with high winds and bad
thunderstorms (The same front that hit Florida so hard the next day). I
shutdown and disconnected everything and laid on the couch to nap until the
storm passed. Again I slept too long and didn't get back on the air until
about 0300Z.

Finally, I overslept from a third nap on Sunday from 1030Z until 1330Z,
well after sunrise, causing me to also miss the early part of the 20/15
meter opening. I guess all the napping is an old-age thing. HI. I will have
to work harder next year.

See you on SSB (ugh).

73, Richard

K5NA@BGA.COM