[3830] VE6JY ARRL DX SSB 20m

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] VE6JY ARRL DX SSB 20m
From: Don Moman <ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca> (Don Moman)
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 12:59:39 -0700 (MST)
                              ARRL DX SUMMARY SHEET
   Callsign Used : VE6JY

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries

   20SSB    2100        2032       6012       119

    Final Score = 715,428 points.

Ft1000mp / Alpha 77DX / 5 el hb yagis 48' booms: 1 @ 145, another tower
stack at 160/110/55 altho rarely used as a full stack (usually just the
top two and even then I'm not sure that they do much over just the top
yagi).

20m seemed about as good as it can be over the pole.. Certainly one could
work (not run) Eu all 48 hours. Could hear SP/LP echoes (beaming SP) on
some signals and a couple Eu stations said I had an echo as well.  Low JA
numbers but likely they were on the higher bands.  Worked just about
everybody that answered me - about 68 dupe QSO's and nearly 30 zero point
US/VE stations. Ran way below 14150 most of the time so that reduces
(doesn't eliminate!) the number of US stations calling.  It's easier to
work the zero pointers - there's no really polite way one can quickly tell
someone they are "worthless" in this contest. If things are slow, then one
can take a bit of time and explain things, but I usually wound up putting
them in the log as they wanted the QSO for other than contest purposes.

25 stations worked reporting using 005 watts, plus 4, 3 and even a 2 watt
signal (all confirmed as not being simply a QSO number either).  I also
worked a lot of horrible sounding 100 watt signals with way too much audio
processing/RF feedback or whatever.

20m was a 23rd hour decision, mainly based on the elevated K index
numbers. 40 or all band were the other options, but 40m with high K # can
be no fun from this way too far inland, way too far north location.

Hope to be active in the BERU test this coming weekend...

73 Don
VE6JY

      Continent List

                   160    80    40    20    15    10    ALL
                   ---    --    --    --    --    --    ---
  USA calls   =      0     0     0     1     0     0      1
  VE calls    =      0     0     0    27     0     0     27
  N.A. calls  =      0     0     0    36     0     0     36
  S.A. calls  =      0     0     0    40     0     0     40
  Euro calls  =      0     0     0  1563     0     0   1563
  Afrc calls  =      0     0     0    19     0     0     19
  Asia calls  =      0     0     0   116     0     0    116
  JA calls    =      0     0     0   195     0     0    195
  Ocen calls  =      0     0     0    33     0     0     33

  HOUR   20SSB   TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------   -----   -----
    0      65      65      65
    1      50      50     115