[3830] W0AH SO 10M LP Unassisted

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W0AH SO 10M LP Unassisted
From: W0AH@aol.com (W0AH)
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 11:46:59 EST
The W0AH single Op 10 meter, low power, unassited results-

          218 Q's x 132 prefixes= 68, 508 points

I operated the 16 hours that 10 meters was open.  There was only one short E-
skip opening, to Texas, Friday night at 2130 local, but no contest activity
then.  The F2 MUF never got high enough to support direct contacts to anywhere
in North America, but weak back scatter was heard throughout the day, but
almost impossible to work with low power. The weekend was like day and night.
The first 24 hours the band was open almost 12 hours and I made 183 contacts,
including WAC.  The second 24 hours the band was open for only 7 hours and I
made only 29 additional F2 contacts.  During this period, the solar flux
trended down from 108 at 0000Z Saturday to 100 by 2000 Sunday.  Friday night,
the band closed at 1830 local and was wide open at 0730 local Saturday morning
when I turned the radio on.  But Saturday evening, the band was dead by 1700
local, and Sunday morning I wondered if it would ever open.  It finally did at
1100 local.
I heard a few Euopeans, and worked one, with the beam due east Saturday.
Heard a few JA's on a similarly skewed path, due west, and managed to work 2.
Equipment: FT-1000 at 100 watts to 3 el yagi at 50'  (100+' feet above average
terrain). I also gave out a few points on a very noisy 160M band.
Hope everyone had fun.  See you for the CW WPX in April.  Hope to get my
KT-34XA back up by then.
Doug  W0AH central Colorado